Sunday, June 7, 2009

Married Life and Jobless Life

Obviously the most obvious question to ask a newlywed is, "How's married life?"

Well, married life is a lot like normal life, to me anyways. Since Garrett and I had been together for five years when we got married, there wasn't much to get used to, even though we started living together for the first time... living away from our parents for the first time as well! Actually, the hardest adjustment has been the actual moving, the getting things from our parents' houses to our house and getting everything unpacked and settled in. I know some people are curious to pictures of the house, but now that everything's halfway settled, I want to wait until I'm mostly settled before I take pictures to post on here and Facebook.

Anyhow, back to married life... there haven't been any big surprises. Living with Garrett is kind of like living with my dad as far as the male stuff goes, so none of that has been weird. As far as quirks, I pretty much knew them all just from a long-term relationship, so again, no real surprises. I have actually adjusted to housework and cooking relatively easy, but of course, that could be because I haven't really done as much as I could be/should be yet. I have cleaned very little (the house doesn't look dirty to me...) and most of my meals could hardly be considered cooking (frozen pizza, anyone?). But again, I'm not ready to experiment too much until we have more settled and until I feel like we're finished spending money on all these little things, so I can focus on spending money on ingredients. However, I have done laundry and dishes many times though, and that hasn't been bad. I just need to be better about the rest of the cleaning...

My focus for this week besides getting really serious about getting my stuff from my parents' house and bringing it here (they bought a house while Garrett and I were on our honeymoon and are moving in like two weeks!) is to look for a job. I've been dreading this so much, because I'm afraid there just isn't anything out there. And while we can live off Garrett's income, it would be nice to have the cushion of me working. We would put some of it in savings, and then we could use some of it to buy "luxury items" (i.e. paying for more than the current 22 channels we have with our very basic cable package) and for me to buy clothes and such (since there really isn't a lot of room for that in the current budget). I actually spent a couple of days considering selling Mary Kay, but I'm pretty sure I'm not doing it now. I don't mind letting people they can buy the makeup through me, but I'm not interested in all other aspects of selling Mary Kay (like showing people how to put on the makeup and such).

What I would like to see work out is writing. I talked to my Sunday school teacher who works at LifeWay about writing for them, and he said that they frequently have writer's conferences and he would look and see when their next one is and let me know. I would love to do that, so I guess we'll see where that goes. I also learned yesterday that a few of my friends' mom writes freelance for LifeWay, so now I know someone else I can talk to about it. I wouldn't have to be a full-time staff writer, just doing some part-time or freelance writing would be enough for me to feel like I'm helping out, give me the chance to do what I love, and also give me free time to work on the house (which I can only do if we have money, ha ha).

Anyhow, my husband just came home from his outing so I will end this entry for now. Goodnight!

2 comments:

Lexie said...

"Living with Garrett is kind of like living with my dad as far as the male stuff goes, so none of that has been weird."

This sentence made me chuckle!!

Amy Anne said...

sounds like it will be fun! Your welcome for the picture frames. I know you love to take pictures, and I wasn't sure of the colors, but I figured that you could use them to put wedding pictures in or something. Pictures always make a house look homey. :) Enjoy life!