Thursday, February 4, 2010

Hair...

Sigh.

Oh hair.

I just made an appointment with the lady who cuts my hair for a week from now. I wish I had made this appointment a week ago so I would have new hair today instead of having to wait another week. I don't know if I can handle it, at least not without straightening it, which I hate to do because I know how damaging that is (which I think the blow dyer does enough of). I'm hoping switching shampoos will make it a little bit happier in the meanwhile. Here's how it looks today.

You can see how thrilled I am by its condition.

I go through this every time I'm getting my hair cut... do I want to try something new out? What style looks best on me? I have no earthly idea. I wish Nick Arrojo would just cut it however the heck he feels it's best (so long as it's not super short), but even if I just happened to be in New York, footing the bill for the cut is not something I can afford to do anytime soon. I tried to do some research today, but it's tricky to find good advice for those who have an abundance of fine hair, which is me. Since my hair looks thick I think it looks poofy when it's cut at the shoulders or above, but I'm being told by the Internet that I shouldn't have long hair. Oh, and I have no clue what my face shape is. I researched that for quite some time on a different day and gave up after determining I had 2.5 different face shapes.

Anyhow, I decided to look back and see what styles I've liked on myself in the past. Well, I almost always like the way my hair looks right after I get it cut, and apparently I liked it pretty well last time:

And then I had another cut that worked alright shortly after I got engaged:

Actually, it looks pretty much the same (the B&W image is taken with a regular camera, but the others are on iMacs, so they are a mirror image). A short layer and the main layer just a little below the shoulders. And how did the haircut hold up? Well, it looked not so good in some pics, but pretty good in others, dependent I'm sure on my hair day. Here are the couple of good hair days, in August and September (a few MONTHS after the haircut):

My last cut was not that long ago, but it hasn't held up as well as the cut I got after my engagement. I think I may have to ask for more off than I'm comfortable with. I know you're supposed to get your hair trimmed about every 6 weeks, but sometimes that just doesn't work with life. I wonder if I should bring a visual representation and actually commit to it, rather than saying, "Sort of like this... but not really." Here's the picture I had in mind...

I know this really isn't much different, but I don't think I'm ready for anything drastic. Besides, I really want to try the side-swept bangs like that. I keep asking for a long version of them, but maybe I shouldn't chicken out anymore.

I don't know if I'm looking for reassurance or advice or commiserating stories, but I suppose I'll take any of it.

2 comments:

Lexie said...

I have learned a few things about hair that I think are very important ...

1. You have to find someone and STICK with them. It's okay to shop around for a few cuts, but really do try and form a relationship with a stylist. You'll get better treatment and better haircuts from someone who knows your hair!

2. Bring pictures. ALWAYS bring pictures! Stylists are visual people (obvs).

3. Be honest. It can be really hard to tell someone that you don't like the cut someone just spent 45 min on ... But you have to! Also.. in my experience, stylists tend to over style and the end product is NOT what you're going to achieve! If you like this, that's fine, but if not, tell them how long you spend on your hair normally and ask that they cut something manageable for your time.


I know this sounds like cheesy magazine article, but I have had very drastic cuts and learned my lessons! ;) I think the picture you have at the bottom would look adorable on you.

B K Kenobi said...

my hair has two settings: buzz and grow. i'm guessing that doesn't work for girls. :/