Thursday, June 16, 2011

X-Men: First Class

The movies I love are movies that make me think and feel. That make me laugh and cry (or at least feel like I could cry, since I don't cry much over movies). I'm also drawn to movies and stories in general that are very much centered on the character (or characters) and his or her growth. One might not expect these things from X Men: First Class, but I experienced it.

There are several characters, but the primary focus is on young Charles Xavier (to be known as Professor X), with a secondary focus on Raven (Mystique) and Erik (Magneto). In this prequel (or possible reboot?) we get the story of how Charles brought together mutants to prove their value and to help mankind. Spoiler alert (not really): mankind rejects the mutants. And Erik saw it coming.

What I love about this story is we see the relationship Charles and Erik develop with each other, with the other mutants (both have a meaningful relationship with Raven), and the progression we see of the different paths they are taking. Erik's started as a young boy who watched the murder of his mother after he was unable to move a coin using his abilities - filled with anger and rage against those who wronged him. Charles' journey also started as a young boy, who found a frightened young mutant in his kitchen, and he reached out to her in love and understanding. He continues to go to college to study genetics to learn more about mutations, so that he can use his knowledge to educate others. Erik, meanwhile, is on a path for revenge. Yet these two paths cross, and for a moment, you almost think Erik might join Charles in his mission for peace. But then you remember what Erik becomes, and you see that no matter how close Erik and Charles get, he will not let go of his anger. And along the way these two young men meet other mutants who are trying to come to terms with their mutations, and they must choose whose path to follow: do they want to work with the common man or against him?

I have always thought the X-Men trilogy was a somewhat weak set of movies; I did not hate them but I knew they could have been better. The characters in First Class feel much more human and relatable than the "super heroes" and "super villains" of the previous X-Men films, which I think is why I liked it so much (and which is also why I love Christopher Nolan's take on Batman). And though I think rebooting movies so soon after they were just done (I'm looking at you Hulk and Spider-man), perhaps it's sometimes for the better (still looking at you, Hulk and Spider-man). I would love to see this version of X-Men be the start of a richer, deeper franchise story. But even if it is not, it certainly provides an excellent back story as to how the mutants came to be either compassionate... or bitter.


Go and see it.

2 comments:

Amy Anne said...

it was a good movie. kenneth and i have seen so many movies here recently. and have many more to see. everyday carmike does 5$ bargin matt prices from 4 to 529.. not a bad deal!!

Anonymous said...

I haven't seen a movie in theaters in almost 18 months! Good thing I'm not much of a movie watcher, otherwise I would probably miss it!

For some reason I thought I commented on your last post about your trip to Chicago, but apparently I didnt. It looks like you guys had a lot of fun, and those posts only made me want to take a short trip to another city!