I won't be revealing anything here that you couldn't find out by reading a book synopsis or articles about the upcoming Hunger Games movie.
As I mentioned in my previous entry, Sunday night I finished The Hunger Games and promptly ordered the next two books in the trilogy from Amazon. The next four days I kept replaying moments in the book over and over again. I viewed the book largely as a love story, even though that's not really the point, though it is part of it. And I was thinking of all the sweet Katniss and Peeta moments and how I desperately wanted them to end up together. Thursday evening arrives and I am giddy to find my Amazon package waiting for me when I get home for work (of course, I already knew it was there, because I had been stalking the shipment order online). Garrett was right behind me getting home, and we ate dinner quickly, then I read for two hours, but got through a little over 100 pages.
Then yesterday at work I was able to read a little bit while I was doing things like stamping mail, and then of course during lunch. I was amazed by how much I got read with such little time. After Garrett and I got home from dinner and running an errand, he got the computer and I did the same for a few minutes, but then went back to my book. He came back to the living room to find me reading and seemed quite amused. He had to go to work early this morning, and thus go to bed early, so suggested he play video games instead of us watching Star Trek so I could continue reading. Then I stayed up after him (which I rarely ever do) to finish, which I did around 11. Two days, two work days no less, and I was finished. I don't know if I'm flying through the books because they're good or because I just want to know what happens, but I imagine it's probably a little bit of both.
The book takes place about six or so months after the previous one, with Katniss trying to adjust to her new life as a victor in the Games, but not all is well. At first it's things like her strained relationships with both Peeta and Gale, but then things get worse. And worse. And worse. Again, I don't want to reveal anything, but at some point in the book, I realize that I'm a lot less worried about who Katniss ends up with, or if she even ends up with anyone, and am more concerned about the survival of Katniss, her friends and family.
The first book definitely has some pretty violent moments, but I felt this book was more violent and darker. This book actually made me feel a bit more disturbed that 12 year olds have read it, but I guess with everything in movies today they're used to it. I just know I couldn't have handled it at 12. But at nearly 25 I can take it and it is certainly a powerful book, and I have a feeling the conclusion will really drive it all home. I imagine in the next couple of days I'll know for certain.
No comments:
Post a Comment