Friday, July 9, 2010

Redbox Review(s)

This post is a little late, but oh well. A few weeks ago I finally signed up for Redbox and tried it out. Garrett and I have watched three movies with Redbox so far and are happy to finally be watching movies from outside of our house once again. For some reason my first (and only paying - yay for free codes) order with Redbox never went through, so we've seen all three of these movies for free! Can't beat that! Here's what we've seen:



Yes, it really did take us forever to see it. And even though everyone raved about it, I worried I might find it overrated. Thankfully, I didn't and loved it too! I thought it was a nice blend of seriousness and comedy. I really enjoyed watching the characters grow and all the Southern/Tennessee references. Favorite line: "Who knew that we'd have a black son before we'd know a Democrat?"

Next we saw...



This movie is based on an actual attempt to assassinate Hitler. Now, before watching this movie you already know the ending, and the good guys don't win. In fact, they'll probably get killed. Yet we watch for the story of what happened. This movie was fine. I don't know accurate it is, but I felt like it could have been very accurate because the story was not all that impacting or powerful. I felt like a lot of emotion was missing from it. It was like they told the story and you liked the characters well enough and felt bad about everything, but it could have been more.

The last one we saw:



I'm actually not a big chick flick person (Jane Austen stories are obviously my big exception), but thought this one looked kind of cute. It was pretty much what I expected: largely predictable, some cute and fun moments, and overall light-hearted, but definitely nothing too deep or life-changing. I enjoyed Amy Adams' performance as usual.

I think next on our list is Alice in Wonderland. We haven't gotten any movies in the past couple of weeks since Garrett was ready for his annual re-watch of the Star Wars saga, and then when we finished Star Trek: The Next Generation TV series, we promptly watched the four related movies. But before too long I should have more movie reviews to share!

Anybody have any thoughts about any of these movies?

10 comments:

Grace said...

I actually haven't seen any of them. I was also worried about thinking The Blind Side was overrated... But since you say it's not, I'll have to give it a try.

Why does Garrett not want to move? And what exactly is your field? I'm willing to move pretty much anywhere and I haven't gotten one yet. I need your secrets!

Amy said...

Garrett is almost as attached to Murfreesboro as he is to oxygen... it's just the way he is.

I'm only assuming I would have a job if I applied everywhere at some point within the course of a year. My "field" is television production, but I haven't expected to get into the field since my junior year. I minored in marketing and thought I might find a job doing advertising, namely commercials. If we had been up for moving I probably could have found a lot more jobs in those fields to apply to in the first place.

Grace said...

That's true. Only so many advertising opportunities around here.

Lexie said...

I was pretty outraged by The Blind Side, but I did enjoy SB's performance and her Oscar speech was so sweet.

I am also an Amy Adams fan ... she's almost as likable as Julia Roberts!

Lexie said...

It's hard for me to explain why I have a problem with the movie because it is a true story -- but it is such a rare story that it's hard for me to like it all the same.

The story shows a wealthy white woman picking up a poor black boy off the streets and basically turning his whole life around because they have the MEANS to do so. Yes, it is a great thing to do, and I believe the family loves that boy like a true son, but as the last monologue states ... what about the rest of Memphis? Or Metro Nashville? Or Harlem etc etc?

I also know a (fairly wealthy) family personally who adopted three black children and tried their hardest to (how to say this PC-ly) "save" them from the ghetto ... and it did NOT work out like the movie depicted. All three children have severe learning and behavior disabilities, and their struggle is continuing even now that the kids are entering their 20s ... I guess it just glamorizes adoption in a scary way.

I have a lot more to say but I've worked all day so I can't quite articulate it!

Lexie said...

ok .. saying it glamorizes adoption is probably the wrong way of putting it, but hopefully you understand my point!

Anna said...

John wouldn't have received the two promotions he's gotten had we not been willing to move. Finding jobs in middle Tennessee is rough, and for us, re-locating was the only way for John to move up in the company.

I haven't seen The Blind Side, but I'm sure I would enjoy it. I do agree with Lexie that a movie like this COULD cause some people to believe that all older children adoption stories are that easy, but I think we could all agree this story is an exception to the rule. After all, this guy went on to become a pro-football player.

We watched Valkyrie a few weeks ago, and I enjoyed it. I wound up having to take Hannah Grace upstairs at the very end, but I thought it was a pretty good story (though I also wondered how true Hollywood was to the actual story, as well).

Amy Anne said...

Blindside is AMAZING! there are no words that could describe that movie!

redbox is also an amazing tool. And works very well.

Amy Anne said...

Yea, it will be great to look back and think about it. I'm making a slide show for the rehearsal dinner, and I think that I am going to include that one in there. Also, I find it insanely weird that I knew Ben through working in nursery at Belle Aire, and he ended up marrying the sister of the guy I fell in love with! Thats the more creepy part I think..

Anna W. said...

i just checked; she got both her Bachelors and Masters in Accounting.