I've had another busy weekend and past few days! Saturday morning Garrett and I participated in an Alzheimer's memory walk, which he did in association with his workplace, but the idea was neat for me because my grandfather died from Alzheimer's. It turned out to not be the most exciting of events, but I did get to see my aunts (dad's sisters), one who lives in town and one who came in from Texas. I'll get to see her again later this week which will be nice. Afterwards we went to MTSU to buy black t-shirts for the blackout game (my shirt ended up being way too big and the game stunk, but I digress...), and after we did that we walked around campus and reminisced. That was a really neat thing to do since there are so many memories there, especially memories of being there together.
That afternoon we ended up going to Belk after Garrett found a coupon from them in his email inbox and he realized he needed a few things for his wardrobe. It's rare for him to voluntarily go shopping so I took the opportunity to help him in his venture. We got him a few things and I got a couple of small things as well. Most everything was on sale and plus we had the coupon, and we ended saving almost as much as we spent! Of course, Garrett just saw the number that we spent, ha ha, but I was impressed with the savings. ;)
Then that night we went to a wedding of a family friend of Garrett's family, and it was nice. I put up a few pictures from it on Facebook, though I did not do too well on the picture front this time around unfortunately. I don't know who made the cakes but they were delicious, which is a very important factor for any wedding. :)
Then on Sunday after lunch I asked Garrett if he would mind us getting a newspaper so I could clip coupons. I have not gotten a paper in a long time, so I depend on the coupons my mom gives me and the ones I find online. Sometime last week I read a blog entry about combining coupons with sales, and it was like the light bulb went off in my mind. I decided I was going to start really and truly saving. But as I clipped on Sunday and compared the coupons to what we eat and need and the deals that were going on, I wound up very disappointed. I ended up not using any coupons on my trip to Kroger that afternoon. BUT my spirits lifted when I looked at my receipt and saw that I had saved $8 with my Kroger card. I had only spent about $26 (originally over $30 before the card came through... and by the way, that's a low spending week and not typical), so that was a decent savings! So even without coupons, it turned out alright. I probably won't be able to save as much as some people do due to what we eat vs. what coupons are offered and that some things I am just going to have to buy certain times whether or not I have a coupon or it's on sale, but maybe I'll get a little better at couponing over time. Anyone who has tips please share!
This weekend isn't actually jam-packed with activity, but I think I will be doing some much-needed shopping for work wear, though I've been pleasantly surprised by what I already have. I could use some new shoes though. What is everyone else up to this weekend?
4 comments:
I'm not doing a whole lot this weekend, but once we get back from our vacation I'm going to pull my summer clothes from my dresser and closet and bring out the fall/winter attire!
Stock up when things go on sale. On items that you normally buy. You don't have to use the coupons right when you get them, you just have to use them before they expire. Start a coupon book/binder and it will turn out. If you stock up when things you like are on sale, you will end up saving more, but also getting more of what you love.
Sounds like a fun weekend! We saw the walk going on through the square as I was getting my hair and make-up done!
Great points-- I've never really considered it, but sewing definitely is a lost art, isn't it? I think as far as photography goes, my biggest goal is to take beautiful pictures of my children, and like you, if someone along the way offers money for me to do their pictures, then I would be happy to oblige. What irks me so much about people who buy DSLRs is that many ONLY shoot in Auto instead of taking the time to learn to shoot Shutter Priority, Aperture Priority, and Manual. . . it makes me wonder if their soul purpose in buying a DSLR was to just look good. And yeah, you're right-- the photography industry is insanely saturated with 'photographers' who, again, only shoot in Auto (can you tell that's a bit of a soap box for me? lol). Anyhoo-- I'll actually be making it to Graham's wedding so maybe we can have a little fun shooting people (bwaha) when you get some down time.
Coupons are tricky! I thought I was going to be super into them this year with Jacob being gone, but honestly I buy too much dairy/produce and not enough processed foods apparently! They are helpful when it comes to hygiene products, though!
Post a Comment