Wednesday, January 12, 2011

The Adventure Known as the Southeastern Snowpocalyse of 2011

On Friday I left for what was supposed to be a four day trip to Mississippi. The trip was pretty uneventful in of itself (though I did try out a frozen yogurt place there that I am pretty sure is like Sweet CeCe's, which made me more excited about checking it out soon!) On Sunday was when the icy/cold/snow/winter mix started to come around. They actually canceled the service at my aunt and uncle's church, though it really did not seem too bad to me. We knew the weather was worse at home though, since Garrett texted me to let me know it was snowing.

That night Mom and I discussed whether or not to leave the next morning like planned, but knew there was really no way to know until then. So on Monday morning we got up and got ready and checked out the weather conditions throughout Mississippi, Alabama, and Tennessee. We decided we would hit the road, but go through Memphis instead of through Alabama like we normally do. My uncle Steve insisted we could turn around and come back if we wanted to.

The first hour of our trip was going smoothly. But then we hit an icy road and Mom slowed down all the way to 35. We also saw the aftermath of a wreck that looked like must have just happened since there were people out but no police yet. So we began to worry a little, and decided to stop in the next town, Grenada, which is about halfway between Jackson, MS (where we left from) and Memphis.

There was not a whole lot to the town, but we found a McAlister's with WiFi and checked out the latest on my laptop, meanwhile with the Weather Channel going on in a TV in the background. After looking at various websites, the Weather Channel, speaking with my dad, and maybe a little bit of arguing, the decision was made: we were going to stay in Grenada for the night. Now, there is something you really need to understand about me as an only child... I really, really, really do not like when my plans got changed. I have learned for the most part how to be flexible when need be in order to be a functioning member of society, but some circumstances are just worse than others. Like me getting stuck in a town with no shopping and not getting home to my husband and cat when I want nothing more in the world than to do so.

So we checked into a hotel, went to Wal-Mart for "entertainment," and then went back to the hotel, where I sat like a bug and watched TV for 7 hours straight, which is not normal for me unless I'm sick. But no, this was two hours of Say Yes to the Dress, four hours of a show called The Next Great Baker (which I am now addicted to... hoping for a finale with Megan, Dana, and M'boro's own Jay... if only I had more than 22 channels!), and Castle (which I normally watch).

(From TLC's website)

The next morning I hoped and hoped the roads were warm enough to venture home, and Mom decided they probably were, so we hit it! And thankfully there were no problems at all! There was no plenty of snow though, so we imagine the roads had probably been rough the day before. I also had never seen so many snow plows before in my life than I did in that one day on the road!


And when I got home, I was surprised to see all those inches of snow I had heard about were still on the ground!


And now it's still here. And it's still cold. So over the snowpocalypse and ready for spring! I know, keep dreaming for another few months! But I am thankful to be home.

2 comments:

Amy Anne said...

I'm tired of the snow too! :) Sounds like a great adventure, glad you two made it home safe!

Lexie said...

it's not snowpoc, amy, it's just winter. :)

also, sweet cece's and pinkberry are both AMAZING froyo places. the tart flavor is weird at first, but once you get used to it, it's super addictive. i love the tart + mini choco chips + strawberries combo.