I have made semi-homemade pizza several times before, but this time I could feel that I had finally perfected it. The crust looked perfect and had been rolled out just right. There was just the right amount of sauce, cheese, and pepperonis. I actually put it on the bottom rack this time and gave it one less minute than the crust instructions since my oven tends to be cook things quickly and I didn't want another burned pizza.
When the timer's beep announced the end of the baking time, my heart rejoiced as I opened the oven to find the pizza looking as wonderful as I had imagined and cooked to perfectly. I got my oven mitts, pulled out the baking sheet... then watched in horror and dismay when, so quickly I could not even think to save it, the pizza just slid right off the sheet and went SPLAT! right into the crack of the open oven door.
Garrett quickly came to my side for encouragement (as he was at the table eating his salad when all this transpired), and I managed to not cry. We also managed to save the crust, with some cheese and sauce still intact, but for the most part the toppings were gone. We salvaged a few more pepperonis from the oven and ate it anyways, though it was certainly not the same. Plus there was the mess to clean up (still haven't cleaned the oven since it needs to completely cool, but I took care of the crack and underneath as much as I could). But as Garrett said, it in our one year and eight months of marriage, this has just now been my first real cooking fiasco, and we still managed to eat it.
Another lesson in pride learned, as silly as that may sound to you, I think it may hold true for me. Always be on your guard, that you don't allow what seemed so perfect (be it yourself or something else) actually fall to disaster.
3 comments:
I enjoyed making pizza until I realize I could order one that was less expensive than buying the ingredients! Sorry about the fiasco, though. I think I've mentioned it before, but I once gave John chicken that bled when he stuck his fork in it!
awww!
i would have definitely cried! one time jacob was making smoked salmon salad and he dropped the salmon in the yard! i was sooooooooo bummed! kitchen disasters are kinda funny though. glad garrett wasnt too upset!
poor pizza!! if thats the only bad thing that has happened, then i'd be rejocing! I'm glad you were able to eat a little bit of it.
Post a Comment