Earlier this year I wrote this post about my writing.
I still don't have much time to write, that hasn't really changed. I know I need to write in order to actually become a good writer. I know I can't sit down and write an award winning novel right now. For those who read and enjoyed the novel that sprung from years of writing and rewriting and then unemployment, I look back at it and still see a ton of work that needs to be done, particularly with pacing and details, and some extra plot certainly wouldn't kill it.
The past few days, one day in particular after a dream I had, my mind has been exploding with new ideas for the old stories in my mind. I am trying to sit down and write out a structured plot for each of these: the catalyst, the big event, the pinch, etc. (scriptwriting turns for certain plot points within a story). I am finally trying to look beyond the emotional story and get serious about the action story, because the thing is, I think I have really good, interesting, Christopher Nolan-esque ideas, but I had no idea how to develop them. I've done research and I'm trying to work on that. Basically, right now I'm doing a lot of planning. And I'm doing it on multiple stories, which is probably not the best approach. I'm not doing a lot of writing, and I'm definitely not reading.
I don't even have a real point to make in this entry, just sort up updating on something that is important to me but doesn't get the devoted time I want to give it. But I am trying my best to not let go of the dream of getting published one day. In the past year or two I have gone from, "I might self-publish a couple of books one day," to "I want this to be my career and I want to do it the rest of my life." And the latter is what I wanted when I was younger, and I'm starting to think that my simple-minded younger self had a lot better idea of what I wanted to do than the complicated older self that has tried to take over. So there I am. Garrett pointed out that I have seven years to 32, the age that J.K. Rowling was when she released the first Harry Potter book. I may not make it that big, but a lot can happen in seven years. And I hope it will.
1 comment:
I think a good way to measure where you'll be in seven years with your writing is to look at where you were seven years ago and see what you've been able to accomplish since then. I do that with my sewing, except I'm only two years in to learning.
As for time, I am willing to bet that you really do have more time than you think. In fact, I KNOW you have more time than you think because you don't have a child, lol. Time management is something I've really been learning over the last 14 months, but I've learned a couple of things. One of those things is that I don't have to have several hours at one time to make progress in a project (I'mt talking about sewing, but this could easily be applied to your writing). If I set aside one hour of Hannah Grace's nap time three or four days a week (equaling three or four hours per week) I make just as much progress, if not more, on a project than if I had taken her entire two and a half hour nap to sew. I could go on about this, but I've already written a ton, lol. But I hope it made sense.
Post a Comment