Sunday, September 11, 2011

Fear and Hope

One day I'm going to have to explain to my child what 9-11 is. I knew that, but that never really struck me until this morning when my Sunday school teacher talked about explaining to his 8 year old what 9-11 was after she asked. Until she had asked, he had forgotten that she was alive at the time. So he told her about it, showed her a documentary even. Though young, she understood the danger, and he said that she grew fearful. He reassured her that Osama bin Laden, the man behind the attacks, was dead. Even though it struck me as odd as first that she would be so afraid of something that happened a decade ago, I can understand how she felt, as it was what I felt when I first heard the news. Though of course, what we felt then was magnified by the immediacy of it compared to what children learning about it now feel. But they know that was recent. When we learned about Pearl Harbor, that was forty years ago. WWII was long over. Terrorism is still a threat.

I remember all these feelings and questions rushing through me as I stood in the hallway at my school outside the bathroom, right after changing out of my PE clothes. Our country has been attacked? What is happening? Are we going to war? Why did this happen? Will they do it again?

But there was hope too. And there still is.

I got to see a little bit of the memorial ceremony in New York this morning. My favorite part was when President Obama got up and read Psalm 46. I loved how he didn't try to add to it with his words, that he just read the Scripture. (Side note: I'm thankful I haven't heard any retaliation yet about his reading it, though I wouldn't be surprised if it came. I do believe with my whole heart in freedom of religion for all, including Muslims and Jews and Scientologists and everyone else, but since this is a nation founded on Christian principles, I wish people would not get so hung up on Christian references made publicly. I would expect other religious references in other countries where those views are dominant.) It was really encouraging that he was willing to acknowledge that heritage this morning. And it was a perfect passage for the occasion.

1 God is our refuge and strength,
A very present help in trouble.
2 Therefore we will not fear,
Even though the earth be removed,
And though the mountains be carried into the midst of the sea;
3 Though its waters roar and be troubled,
Though the mountains shake with its swelling.

4 There is a river whose streams shall make glad the city of God,
The holy place of the tabernacle of the Most High.
5 God is in the midst of her, she shall not be moved;
God shall help her, just at the break of dawn.
6 The nations raged, the kingdoms were moved;
He uttered His voice, the earth melted.

7 The LORD of hosts is with us;
The God of Jacob is our refuge.

8 Come, behold the works of the LORD,
Who has made desolations in the earth.
9 He makes wars cease to the end of the earth;
He breaks the bow and cuts the spear in two;
He burns the chariot in the fire.

10 Be still, and know that I am God;
I will be exalted among the nations,
I will be exalted in the earth!

11 The LORD of hosts is with us;
The God of Jacob is our refuge.


He will be exalted.

1 comment:

Anna said...

What's sad is that it doesn't really matter than OBL is dead; there will always be someone there to take his place :/

That's great that Obama read that verse-- I missed that, but I did see him (silently) praying (at least that's what he appeared to be doing) over one of the memorials.