Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Ah. To Be Young, Poor, and Interested in Technology...

OK, I'm not really poor, but I feel safe saying that I cannot justify the purchase of an iPad. It's not the price so much as the price plus the fact it is not a necessity. In fact, the more I think about it, the more I wonder how much I would actually use it after the initial excitement wore off. Especially if it was Wi-fi only and not 3G (because 3G costs another $100+ for just the tablet, and then there's the data plan). So I began to explore options of cheaper tablets.

With all the hoopla surrounding the Kindle Fire, I really got to looking into it. I was getting really interested in it... but then I heard about Barnes and Noble's new Nook Color tablet coming out, and I looked into it. I researched and researched and fell into the following pattern:
I really want a Fire.
I want a Nook.
I want a Fire.
I might want a Nook.
I just want a freaking iPad!
Oh, Dell Inspiron Duo! (the marriage of a netbook and a tablet)

Yeah, those last two things came in after I stopped caring about the dollar amount and thought about what I wanted. But again, is the iPad actually worth $250 more than the Nook (for the usage I would actually get out of it)? (The answer is no) Would I really carry around a tablet that weighs 3 pounds? (The answer is no)

But now I'm thinking Nook again, and here's why:
- It has more physical storage on it than Fire. Fire technically has a ton of storage thanks to it backing everything up on the Cloud, which is cool, but what if I am somewhere without Internet (like in the car) and I want to watch a movie? Fine if it's actually on my Fire, but not if it's just on the Cloud.
- Amazon Prime is a much better deal than Netflix + Hulu Plus (apps than B&N boast come preloaded on Nook). But guess what? I won't use Prime or Net-Hulu enough to justify paying for them. And I don't have to pay for them just because they're available. This leveled the playing field when it came to the money issue when I decided I did not need these subscription services.
- I can go to the physical Barnes and Noble for Nook support. I know Amazon would take care of me if I had a problem, but this would be easier.
- Nerd alert: It has preloaded Sudoku on there as a game (at least old Nook Color does, so I'm hoping the new one does). I have a Sudoku app on my iPod I hate, so I thought this would be more simple than having to find the perfect Sudoku app (assuming it is actually decent, but I would imagine it would be). This ought to motivate me to play again.

Ultimately, this is what I want in a tablet:
- The ability to watch video without Wi-Fi connection.
- The ability to get on the Internet with a Wi-Fi connection (would prefer 3G, but I'm hoping in a year I'll finally jump on the smart phone bandwagon).
- The ability to load and read my Word documents without Wi-Fi connection (pretty sure Nook has that capability but I am going to double check).
- Enjoy a few games (I know they have Sudoku and that I can get the Scrabble app, so that's a good start).
- Super easy to carry around with me.
- And hopefully, the inspiration to read more. Even though I adore paper books, I imagine it is easier to just download a book and read it on a device that is smaller than a paperback. I will still buy actual copies of anything I just love, but this may motivate me to branch out a little in my reading choices (especially if the price is right or I can borrow it through the lending option).

I may change my mind tomorrow, but I do feel like I am thinking clearer now after some distractions and confusion. Anybody else considered any of these options and have thoughts?

3 comments:

Amy Anne said...

i'm trying to decide on a tablet.. I haven't given much research into them, but I know I want one that I can take to church.. it has the bible app on there. and one that will be good for nursing school.. if I ever get in. But right now i can't justify spending that amount, so I haven't looked. I like this topic! I will come back when I'm not cooking dinner, to give you my thoughts! :)

Anna said...

I have an HP TouchPad, and tomorrow John is getting the iPad through work. My TouchPad is WiFi only, and I have yet to find myself needing the use of 3g. WiFi is available EVERY.WHERE (except driving, of course, unless you have a personal hot spot), so I've always been able to use the TouchPad when necessary.

As for watching movies while driving while using a 3G connection, there's a couple of things you may want to keep in mind: I have an iPhone, which has 3G connection. In an ideal world watching movies while riding down the interstate would be great, but 3G isn't everywhere, and so the phone falls back to the somewhat unreliable Edge network, which is a great deal slower, causing videos/movies to lag quite a bit (we deal with this quite often when trying to entertain Hannah Grace with YouTube videos on long car rides).

As for the Fire or the Nook, I really don't know. If I hadn't purchased the TouchPad back in August, I probably would have asked John for the Fire for Christmas, simply because I think Amazon is a stellar company and $200 for a tablet is a phenomenal deal. But that's just my two cents :)

Anna W. said...

I've had two more thoughts since my comment yesterday:

I'm almost positive, that unless the Nook or Fire are going to be sold in wireless stores (AT&T, Verizon, etc), they will be WiFi only. Accessing 3G requires a data plan (and thus a data fee), and the device would have to be 'attached' to one of the phone companies to be able to 'run' 3G.

As for wanting to pull up Word Documents without using WiFi, that shouldn't be a problem, since you don't have to be connected to the internet to access Microsoft Word. I'm just not sure WHICH tablets allow you to access Word (I'm pretty sure my TouchPad does not).