This make me feel silly. And like a 15 year old fan girl. But here goes.
I was excited but cautiously optimistic about The Hunger Games movie after reading the book and its sequels in August. But as pictures released, and especially the trailer, I got pretty pumped. It looked like they were going to nail it!
For some reason I will never understand, they are releasing clips of the movie before it releases. For another reason I will never understand, I am choosing to watch them. Each watch has proven to downgrade my excitement level. Well, after two or three notches down, I seemed to be regaining a notch or two...
And then I watched another clip today.
Ugh.
Ugh.
Ugh!
Why!!!!!
It was the very crucial moment when Caeser interviews Peeta before the Games.
One of my favorite moments in the book, I might add.
First off, these scene clips don't have any music. They appear to be rough edits. I'm trying to understand that it won't be like that in the movie.
But the way Peeta said, "Because she came here with me" was so, so, SO completely wrong.
I feel so disappointed.
I know it's stupid! It's only a movie, it's only a story!
I just know how I pour myself into my stories, and if this movie was based on something I had written, I would want it to be so perfect. And since this is one of the only situations where I'll be going into a movie having read the book first, I have so much built up in my mind already. I don't feel like I am Suzanne Collins and have written the story, of course, but I feel I have invested in it, emotionally, caring so much about the characters. I want it to feel right.
I'm hoping they just really chopped this scene up for the clip. That perhaps there will be swelling music, more dramatic pausing, SOMETHING to make it feel better in the movie. Maybe even the context will help, having seem Katniss and Peeta holding hands in the chariot, her kissing his bruise, the looks he gives her. But the way he said it, ugh, it didn't sound at all like I heard it in my mind. I don't know how much it could be helped. I'm actually really hoping they put another take of it in the movie. But then why would this be the teaser clip?
I would post the clip, but I don't want you guys to have the same temptation hanging in your face. At least this way you'll have to take the extra effort to Google the clip if you're morbidly curious. I'm still going to see this movie, and I will probably still see it on the day it comes out, but I think I'm going to have to face the fact that it is not going to be perfect. Hopefully it will be good, even great, but it just simply will not be perfect.
So I will remake it in 20 years.
Just kidding.
(Sorta...)
For those who have read books and then watched movies, did not having certain moments as you pictured them ruin the whole experience, or were you OK with it? I'd love to know how you reconcile the differences!
3 comments:
Just watched it. I definitely liked it better than you did, haha.
I knew you were going to watch it and I knew you were going to leave a comment and I knew you were going to like it! But he's supposed to stutter! There's no stuttering there! I also think his voice sounds too rough for Peeta. I don't know. I hope I feel differently in the middle of the movie.
Almost distressing how well you know me at times. I liked the hesitation. It gave me the same idea without a stutter. I feel like a lot of actors, especially young ones are not convincing when trying to do the wavering voice. The very slight but obvious hesitation, and then the flat statement ... to me, that is a more dramatic and effective approach than trying to convey the stammer.
I think you also like Peeta in general more than I did, so I can understand that you would be more impacted if the character didn't quite hit the way you imagined.
Post a Comment