Friday, January 22, 2010

Another One About Job Hunting

Today I am not going to (trying not to, anyways) complain about being unemployed, in case you are trying to decide whether or not you want to read further. This does cover the frustration of job hunting, however.

If I had graduated two years ago, I could have done the same thing I am doing now... looked on a few websites, applied for some jobs that sounded interesting... but then I would have gotten a couple of interviews, and then a job, probably within a few months. This is not the case in 2009 2010. And here's the other thing... a lot more jobs would have been more appealing back then. Because now, almost every job posting I found is related to something medical or something else I am no where near capable of, or it's the extreme opposite and I am way over qualified.

Look, I don't want to be a snob. I think some people think I'm being picky (Garrett used to until I explained what I am explaining to you), but I'm trying not to be. Retail/food jobs usually require evenings and weekends, and I know Garrett does not want me to work those hours any more than I want to. So most of those places are scratched off immediately. And then there's the other large portion of jobs I am not qualified for, which also get scratched off the list. I can be looking through 150 jobs and by the time those two types of jobs are marked off, there are about 0-3 things left for me to look at.

Let's say it's a good day, and there's 3 of these jobs left. They're probably all administrative assistant jobs, which I'm OK with. I don't want to do that for the rest of my life, but I will do it for now. Now here's the problem. At least 2, if not all 3, of these jobs, will end up being in Brentwood, Franklin, or Nashville. Now, again, I want to be as unpicky as possible. But I have to wonder, is it worth it for me to drive forty minutes to an hour to a job that is just OK and that I could do in Murfreesboro? Usually the answer is no, so they get skipped too. So in one day I have seen 150 jobs, looked at 3, and applied for none. Not because I'm being extremely picky, but because I am being just a little bit picky. I mean, I'm not only applying for jobs in my field. In fact, I have probably actually only applied for about 10 jobs that were remotely in my field and that I would absolutely love to have. A few of these I was definitely under-qualified for, and once I learned to not waste my time on those, I stopped that.

Today I applied for the first job in a while that I think I would really, really enjoy having. It's technically an internship, but it seemed to indicate that it would be paid, and it did say it would most likely become full-time. I'm not totally holding my breath. I think training starts next week and I just applied for it, plus there are students out there who will ask for less (if any) money and have the same (or better) experience than me. I guess it was sort of nice to have a glimmer of hope though, but it's also discouraging to remember how few jobs I have actually seen and applied for that I think I would actually love. What happened to when I was told to pursue my dreams, to do what I loved and not settle for less? I'm not giving up, but it's just on my mind today.

*EDIT* Right after I wrote this, I checked my e-mail and already had an e-mail about interviewing for the intern job. I am blown away. Even if I don't get it, maybe God just wanted to make me shut up and show me He can do anything. Prayers are appreciated though. :)

No comments: