What are these actions, you ask? They are basically a pre-done set of steps to transform your picture for a desired effect. These effects may include a vintage look, a specific tone of black and white, more vivid color, etc. Using the same picture I showed you with my last post, I decided to apply some of these actions and show you the results.
Here's the original again:
Here's action Butterscotch Vintage at work:

This one is S-Curve Pop, which is one I would probably use a lot if I was a professional photographer editing for clients. It's subtle and just adds a pop of color:

This one is the lomo action:

This wasn't my favorite for this picture, but I thought I would show you something with a warmer tone; this one is called Golden Vintage:

And here is the splendor black and white action; this is the kind of black and white look I had been trying to achieve on my own but could not:

This last action came from this website, and I adjusted it from 100% opacity to 50% because it looked a little too "dreamy-looking" for this picture, but would have been nice with a different one I'm sure:

I'm still trying to figure out a lot of the actions I downloaded, which require more tinkering and adding layer masks, which I have not learned much about yet. So I still have plenty to learn! Do y'all have a favorite look for this picture?
If you run across this by Googling "how to install actions in Photoshop Elements 8," then your answer is right here.
2 comments:
Thanks for those links; I've never worked with actions before, but I'll be sure to check them out this week. I did do a tutorial that Ree Drummond (Pioneer Woman) wrote up awhile back that let me essentially 're-create' one of her actions in Elements, and I was able to work with the saturation aspect, too. That's here:
http://thepioneerwoman.com/photography/2008/04/reproduce-a-pw-action-in-photoshop-elements/
She did hers in Elements 6, but everything is identical to Elements 7 (what I have), and I would imagine it is the same for Elements 8.
bahhhhh
this is making all my work on picnik look pathetic!
Post a Comment