Wednesday, December 30, 2009

LOVE.LOVE.LOVE.

OK, I got Photoshop Elements 8 for Christmas. I thought I could probably do some cool things, but I won't lie, I'm a bit of an editing snob. I've had this thought for a while that a great photographer should be able to take amazing pictures with just their camera and not need to do much editing. Well first off, I am not a great photographer. And secondly, while I do still greatly admire the wonderful photography that can be achieved with little to no editing and hope to one day achieve such a feat, I think it's nice to do something different for a picture sometimes. Behold, my first Elements project! (OK, technically my second, but my first project was just color and photo and text. This was my first attempt at "layering," with some help with the WWW because trust me, I did not figure this out on my own!)

BEFORE:

AFTER:


Wow, what a drastic change! I also need to experiment doing simple enhancing, like boosting colors and doing desaturation correctly and all that jazz, because I know not every photo needs to look like this. But sometimes, you just want to create art, and I think I just did that. I mean, I know it could be better, but this is my first try, and I like it.

And now I need to get my butt out of this chair and go grocery shopping before I do this all day long. Thanks for allowing me to geek out a little.

2 comments:

Anna W. said...

Hey editing photos counts as a productive task in my book, lol.

Um. . . honestly, I don't notice a huge difference between the two. I used Firefox at my parents and it worked just as well. I think John just wanted to get a new browser because it said 'Google' on it, lol.

Anna W. said...

Yep-- bokeh is the shallow depth of field! The f/1.8 lens I got works super well for those shots, and it's fairly affordable at right at a hundred bucks (though, I did get it from my parents-- hey they asked what I wanted! lol). Nikon makes an equivalent that's about $120 on Amazon.

I was going to tell you something else-- oh, yeah. Did you get a book to go along with Photoshop? If not and you're interested, Photoshop Elements Classroom in a Book had been a great help to me. And I've heard Scott Kelby writes great books on it too-- just make sure you get the right edition to go along with your software, lol.