Monday, December 21, 2009

Best of 2009: Project

I've been looking forward to this one.

As I graduated college and continued to be jobless, I pretty much needed to start a project in order to maintain my sanity. I really feel it was God-ordained for me to take fiction writing my last semester, because I was finally inspired to write for the first time in quite a while. And that's when I went back to the novel I've been trying to write on and off for about ten years.

One day I even created a cover I might like to use for it, and since I want to self-publish, the liklihood of me actually using it is pretty high (unless I change my mind or get advised otherwise). The image above is the one I used (which I could buy to use).

Writing something like this takes a lot of motivation, inspiration, and perseverance. I'm happy to report I'm almost finished with part one of the four parts I am writing, and this one is probably the longest part, so that's a big accomplishment. I have it divided up into parts because it takes place over four months and wanted to make it clear when things were happening, not because it's extra long. I will admit, I'm actually a little worried this may end up being a novella instead of a novel. And if it is, I guess that's going to have to be OK. As Garrett told me, choose quality over quantity. Anyhow, according to Wikipedia a novel is more than 40,000 words, and right now I have a little over 17,000. It may be a novel yet, but we'll see. I feel like I don't have a ton left to write, but my first part ended up being longer than I anticipated, so maybe I will be inspired and be able to write more.

But enough of all that, how about the story? I've talked very little about my story and to very few people. I wanted to share a little about it but keep a lot of it vague since this a public blog. Essentially, it's four stories about four teenagers who are all friends. Their stories are about the challenges in their everyday lives, some big and some small. Tragedy takes one of their lives, and the rest of the book is about how the other three cope, and it wraps up a lot of the other things they were struggling with. I think it has the potential to be powerful, so I hope I can achieve that. My goal is to have it self-published by 25. I hope I can do it.


1 comment:

Anna W. said...

I at some point would like to write a book, but I think the direction of what I'm 'supposed' to write has drastically changed and that I'm still years from publishing (that is, if I'm supposed to).

My mother in law is a writer and self published her first book earlier this year; it was released in May. She's now working on a second book that is actually a hard copy of a website she has written for several years. Her website for the book she has out now is segenpress.com if you want to take a gander.