Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Best of 2009: Wrap Up

I decided I would complete the rest of the Best of 2009 prompts that I wanted to today so I could have those done. Besides, the last day of December is only a day away!

December 23, Best Web Tool

How did I live before Firefox added the plus sign on their tabs to make it easier to add them? The unbelievable thing is that Internet Explorer added this feature to their tabs first, and Garrett couldn't believe I was still using Firefox over IE. Once this feature came out with Firefox 3.5, I understood why he felt that way. Thank you Firefox for finally adding this feature. You just made my Internet browsing simpler.

December 24, Learning Experience

The most obvious answer is to say marriage, but I already talked about that with my challenge of the year. So let's go with my other learning experiences. 1.) Trusting God (again, since I've learned this how many times already?). It's been a struggle this year dealing with why God would leave me jobless, but I'm (finally) starting to believe He really has a plan, and that it will all work out. We're not poor, so He's taking care of us.

2.) Growing as a writer. Thanks to my fiction writing class and free-time from being jobless, I feel like I really am growing as a writer. I am writing more, reading more, taking more risks, sharing my writing more, and I think I write better than I used to. I feel like I've learned a lot in this area and will continue to do so.

December 25, Gift
I received many great gifts this year thanks to the wedding and all, but according to Gwen Bell (who created this whole best of 2009 thing), this is a gift you gave yourself that just kept giving. Well, this gift was received also thanks to my mom and Garrett, but I picked it out, and this would be my cat, Callie. When we left her for a few days to go to Mississippi and then came back, I realized how much I love her. I know that sounds so silly, she's just a cat, but she has this funny quirks, cute expressions, etc. that just make me happy. She's my companion at home and I'm so glad we got her.


December 26, Insight or Aha! Moment
Again, I have to say there were several of these as I have gone through my first seven plus months of marriage. I had another insight moment just this week, however, that is also quite important. I realized that I've treated my relationship with God like an old friend. I'm still daily impacted by His influence, but we don't talk as much as we used to. And of course when I say we, I have to place the blame entirely on myself. This is something I know I need to work on in 2010.

December 27, Social Web Moment
I don't know if this counts as "social web," but it's certainly related to the web. I found Steven Crowder this year. He knows his stuff.

December 28, Stationary
This is definitely my wedding invitation. I had a friend design it exactly the way I wanted and I loved everything about it and felt it was a perfect match for our wedding. Here's one of her early mock-ups (the final has a little bit more wordage, and the correct info since some of this is wrong. Also, the color is off, because for whatever reason the color changed when I uploaded the file in Picnik to edit for privacy purposes; you'll see the correct color on the program).

She also coordinated our programs and reserved signs to match the invitations.

And what was also neat was that the floral design from these was scanned in from the place mats we had for our centerpieces! It all looked really neat together I thought.

December 29, Laugh
Basically anytime I watched Chuck, I had a good laugh. I love, love that show, and can relate to the crisis of being young and not doing what you want.

December 30, Ad
I couldn't find a picture of it online, but I've seen the ad on the Nashville interstate and saw one when I was in Mississippi over the weekend. It's a yellow billboard that said: "I will quit smoking when cigarettes cost $____ a pack." Now I don't smoke, but I felt like it was very simple yet profound way to get smokers to think about quitting (though not as good as the sign from the movie "The Italian Job" that keeps tally on how many people have died from smoking).

December 31, Resolution You Wish You'd Stuck With
I'll start off by saying it's not really my fault I couldn't stick to this resolution. Remember when I wrote about my goals for 2009? One of them was to find a job I like. Obviously that did that happen, but I feel it was mostly out of my hands. I could have applied for more places, but obviously, I was only applying to places I thought I would like. So, I'm afraid not too much could have been done. Here's hoping I'll meet this goal in 2010!


1 comment:

Anna W. said...

I was an avid user of Firefox until John installed Google Chrome on all our computer; it also has the '+' tab and it definitely makes surfing the web a lot easier!