Tuesday, December 15, 2009

The Best of 2009 (And my 200th Blog Post)

Today I stumbled across this Best of 2009 Blog Challenge. Basically, all it involves is some reflection on the best things you experienced in 2009, based on the prompts given on the website I linked above. So since it's halfway through December and I have missed a lot of them but like the idea, I thought I would share a few of my favorite things based off some of the prompts from December 1 - today, and then on the next day that I like the prompt idea, I'll write on just it. If you're interested, you should do the same!

Best Trip (Dec. 1)
This is undoubtedly my honeymoon. To be honest with you, the trip was not 100% amazing. It was more like 95% amazing, because I can't say there weren't any bumps along the way. Don't worry, they had little to do with Garrett and me, they had more to do with outside factors. In fact, what was so amazing about our honeymoon was spending so much time together. It was fun that it was just us and no one else, and we were finally "out on our own" for once. On this trip I fell in love with Key West, ate some amazing food, relaxed for the first time in forever, got to dress up, and of course, spend basically all my time with my new husband. I can't wait to go on another cruise. Or just another vacation for that matter.


Book
(Dec. 4)
I did a Beth Moore Bible study on Daniel, and I've always liked the book of Daniel, but with this study, it just blew my mind! I may have picked up a minor obsession with end-times along the way too!

Night Out (Dec. 5)
Switchfoot concert... it was just incredible.

Moment of Peace (Dec. 8)
Anytime I actually enjoyed the peace that comes from being jobless and out of school. As far as a specific moment goes, on Halloween morning after returning from the Bruce Gilley 5K, I sat at the kitchen table with hot chocolate and chatted with Garrett as he ate breakfast. Something about that moment of rest in the middle of a busy day has stuck with me.

Challenge (Dec. 9)
Marriage. This may sound funny, but right after we got married and came back from the honeymoon I was kind of... well I don't know. I didn't expect marriage to be amazing 100% of the time, but I was almost (but not quite) disappointed because I didn't feel different once I was a wife. It was also harder adjusting to maintaining my own home than I expected. Living out on my own might have made this transition a little smoother, but I think what really made it bad was I almost felt lost. I had no school, no job, a new home, and a new husband. It was underwhelming and overwhelming at the same time. But over the months I started to feel better about everything and marriage started to feel more like marriage than it did... cohabiting I guess is how it almost felt at first. I never doubted that I made the right decision in marrying Garrett, it just proved to be a different transition than I anticipated. Easier in some ways and harder in others. Anticlimactic at first, but then it built up over the months to where now I'm starting to feel like I "get" it. There will always be some struggles of course, but it seems to be getting more wonderful as time goes on. It's certainly the best challenge I have been through and am going through.


Album (Dec. 10)
Switchfoot's "Hello Hurricane.


The Best Place (Dec. 11)
My office at our house. I spend the majority of my day here, and it's where I write my stories. Runner-up goes to this neat place Elissa and I found off the Greenway, just because it was like a fun new adventure, and when we went there the weather was so perfect.


New Food (Dec. 12)
I basically never try anything food-wise, but I tried pineapple on the cruise and now I'm a fan!

***EDIT***

Totally forgot about enchiladas! I had tried them before and was never in love with them, but when I saw an easy homemade recipe I decided to try them out. I LOVE THEM! We eat them a couple of times a month.

More to come...