Friday, January 15, 2010

Weddings and Marriage

Yesterday I helped Elissa go wedding dress shopping, and it was so fun to look at wedding dresses again, but to look for someone else. I really think I would love being a bridal consultant, so long as I could work the hours I wanted. Anyhow, we went to three places, and there was one at each place that she loved, but the dress from the second store is the one she loved the most, and I loved it too! I hope she ends up getting it.

I also had a chance to try on a dress as a potential bridesmaid dress for her wedding. She wants us to wear different black dresses, but she wants them to be knee-length, satin, and for it to have a spot for a sash, and I found a dress meeting those criteria at White House Black Market. What's great about this is I'll definitely wear it again, which I know is why so many people are doing black bridesmaid dresses now. I would have been happy with a dress in a fun color, but I'm happy with this too. Here's the dress I'm highly considering:

On the website it says it has pockets, but I totally failed the notice them, so I'll have to check that out when I go back for it. It has loops for a belt it comes with, so that will be perfect for a sash. I was hoping the bolero in the background there would work out since the wedding is in the fall, but it really didn't. Ah well. I'll just rock a cardigan at the reception if I get cold.

Today is Garrett and mine's 8 monthversary! It may not be a big milestone, but it certainly doesn't hurt to be reminded of how far we've come and how much our love has grown. It makes me sad to realize that some couples don't even make it this far in this marriage. I actually know several people my age who have married and divorced within a year or two, and it makes me so sad. Marriage is a wonderful thing... at the right time with the right person. It is definitely something not to be taken lightly. As I told Elissa, plan for the marriage, not just the wedding, because that's what lasts.

3 comments:

Anna W. said...

I had my bridesmaids to the same thing with their dresses, and they loved the idea (mostly because it meant that didn't have to shell out $100 on a dress that they'd only wear once, lol).

Anna said...

I like that dress, btw!

Amy Anne said...

I did that with Laura's wedding.. or I wanted to. I went to Dillards and found a cute dress that I would wear again and bought it. It was only like 70 bucks too. But then I went down when the other girls were trying on bridesmaid dresses and everyone decided on the same dress. So I wasn't about to be the odd ball. Thank goodness his parents paid for the dress, along with the gas money to drive down there. But they all like the dress, its just not one that I would wear often..

I like that dress. And everyone is loving the black and white theme! :)