Wednesday, May 11, 2011

American Idol: Top 4

Round One
James: I thought it was a bit safe. He did well, but it didn't blow me away for this point in the competition.
Haley: I'm somewhere between Randy dogging on Haley and Steven doting on her. It may have not been the best song choice, or at least not the best way to sing that song. But when you're forcing contestants to sing a song that is inspirational for them, that does limit their options. Unfortunately I can't offer better insight since I heard this one on the crappy kitchen TV.
(After hearing the recaps at the end, Randy was right about her shouting at the end of the song. I remember the beginning being good though.)
Scotty: Also a safe choice, but again, still good.
Lauren: Upping the game again... finally. She finally seems to be getting the hang of it.

Round Two
Side note: Lady Gaga frightens me.
Haley: Jordin Sparks sang this song season six, and I loved it so it's hard to compare. It was pretty different, which is probably for the better, just again, makes it hard to compare. I don't think I liked it as much vocally (though don't get me wrong, it was well sung), but it was definitely dramatic and powerful.
Scotty: Good as usual; this song pick was more fun and I got a kick out of it.
Lauren: Stepping it up again. Garrett and I agree (he watched half of the show with me tonight) that she really should have waited a year or two for AI when she would be 100% ready to win the whole thing, but she has definitely improved. And I loved that she stepped out of her comfort zone for this song.
James: Better song choice for his voice but also a bit more of a risk, but a risk that worked well.

Last week I felt certain that Jacob was going home (which he did) and that he would be followed by Haley. And if America voted based solely off the judges tonight, that would also be true. But I'm not sure, because I've read some this blogs and articles this past week, and Haley has a bunch of fans that are peeved at the judges being hard on her. And it was Lauren, and not Haley, who was in the bottom two with Jacob last week. (But her hometown in Georgia may have had some power outages thanks to the storms?) But Lauren really showed up tonight, and James and Scotty have been consistent. It just comes down to who has the most fans that vote the most... But at this point, it's hard to see anyone go...

No comments: