Wednesday, October 19, 2011

I Think I'm a Movie Nerd

Sorry for the lack of posting... I've been attempting to write more on my stories lately, though Pinterest and hunting down news about The Hunger Games movie have been distracting me. (Would it kill them to release a few new pictures?! Would it?!) Since I have nothing else to going on in my life, I thought I would share my latest film viewings.

Not the weekend that just passed, but the one before that, I saw 2000 movie Gladiator for the first time. I have to say, I'm glad I didn't see it in 2000, because I probably wouldn't have liked it and then not given it a second chance. But 11 years later, I think it was really good. It was very compelling... the story, yes, but really the social commentary of the day. And what's scary is realizing how easily we can fall into that behavior again (and sort of already through reality TV... oh, Hunger Games anyone?). I think Russell Crowe is a great actor, but Joaquin Phoenix did an amazing job being super, super creepy. Just thinking about his character makes my skin crawl. Anyhow, if you haven't seen it before or in a while, I would definitely recommend it.

Then this past weekend, I saw Source Code, which Amy had mentioned seeing recently. (Amy, you need to re-watch this movie and stay awake through the whole thing!) This movie combines two of my favorite things: a kinda-futuristic-but-could-be-happening-now storyline and romance. I don't know how much I can say about the movie without giving too much away, but I enjoyed it and thought it was well-done. Also, it was really neat because a lot of the movie takes place on a train that is coming from a Chicago suburb and going into the city, and as you may recall, Garrett and I took this same kind of train into the city a couple of days on our trip there this May. It was neat to recognize the elements of the train and the station (which was not the same station we debarked at, but was very similar). We were just really glad we saw this AFTER we went to Chicago and not before! Anyhow, I would also recommend it!

P.S. to Graham, don't you think Michelle Monaghan would make a perfect Jadzia for a DS9 movie? I called this a while back, but now I'm convinced:
For the uninitiated, this is the actress who plays Jadzia Dax in the Deep Space Nine TV series (ten plus years ago):

And here's a Jadzia expression:
As if I don't sound nerdy enough... Garrett and I also re-watched X-Men:First Class and Inception on Saturday. X-Men didn't excite me as much the second time, not sure if it was my mood, if the story interest wore off after one viewing, or if it was the fact I was trying to figure out how Jennifer Lawrence is going to pull off Katniss. (Answer: watch Winter Bone clips and it's a lot easier to see) But Inception the fourth (at least, possibly fifth) time was still amazing and epic.

Anyone else seen anything lately?

No comments: