When I get stressed out, I usually like to picture myself at a tropical or beachy locale. Or when I feel like I need something completely different from the norm, I want to run off to Europe. But lately, I've been dreaming of some vacation spots that I had never really considered before.
1. Seattle area

I decided to work on an old story, which I had originally set in Tennessee, with the main characters having just moved to Bell Buckle. However, I started thinking about merging ideas from another (and much older) story with it, which would involve ice fishing. So I started considering more Northern locales, and decided on Washington, mainly the Seattle area. So I researched the area and it piqued my interest. I learned that there are actually islands within the state of Washington thanks to the Puget Sound. I thought about what it would be like to live on one of those islands, created a fictional one in my mind, and my story was reborn. Now I feel I need to explore the area for a true feel of the area... you know, just pure research. :)
(Though I think I'm dumping the ice fishing idea after all...)
2. Canada (by train)

Garrett randomly mentioned to me that there was a train that traveled through Canada and hit all the major cities, and that it might be cool to check out one day. Then a few days later I found myself talking to a co-worker about the idea of traveling through Canada by train, which led to a day of me researching the options for such a trip and getting excited about it like I was leaving the next week. There is even the option of riding a in a train car that has high, wrap-around windows so you can get a full view of the scenery around you. It just sounds gorgeous, not to mention romantic. And how often do you get to travel by train?
3. New England

I haven't looked much into this yet, but one of my co-workers just came back from a New England/Canada cruise and was telling me about it today. The two ports they hit in New England were Boston and Maine, both of which she said she loved. And suddenly I was seeing old houses, lighthouses, stone streets, and rocky coasts in my head. So it has been added to the list of places to see one day...
Any new places piqued your interest lately?
3 comments:
traveling by train is much more common in the midwest than the south! it's a shame there isnt an amtrak station in nashville. it really is a GREAT way to travel. less hassle than the airport and more freedom than in the car. several of my friends have taken the train from IL to CO, CA, and WA before!
At this point, the only place that piques my interest is one where John and I are alone, lol.
Before we found out we were moving away from Florida, John and I mapped out a road trip that went across the Panhandle, up the east coast, and ended in Boston. The plan was to visit his brother who (at the time) was living there when Hannah Grace was five or six months old, but that obviously didn't happen. One day!
i really like the light house photo!!!
Post a Comment