Monday, December 19, 2011
Four Commercials That Bother Me
"Citi: Accessories": AKA, I Love Rock Climbing More Than My Boyfriend
Girl in commercial: "We talked about getting a diamond, but with all the thank you points I've been earning, I flew us to the rock I really had in mind."
What I think the commercial is trying to say: "With the Citi Thank You card, you can do the things you've always dreamed of."
Message I got out of it: "With the Citi Thank You card, you can do the things you've always dreamed of... which is apparently not get married. Screw you boyfriend, marriage isn't an adventure, but rock climbing is."
Mr. Coffee Single Serve Coffee Maker: Or, Stanley the Doormat
First off, where is Stanley? An office? Why does he have on a plaid shirt and these women who come to him dressed so nicely? Who are these women? Why do they expect Stanley to make coffee for him? Why does he? Obviously he and Girl #3 have a thing for each other, as she nervously greets him with, "Hi Stanely," and he stands up to deliver her coffee, not in a mere Styrofoam cup, but in a special red mug! But Stanley, you don't have to be a doormat! It's fine if you want to make her coffee, but don't be so mousy about it! And don't let those other women push you around! And please, please, invest in some new glasses.
Lexus December to Remember Sales Event - Elevator: AKA, The Christmas Lady Gave Tramp a Lexus
My first problem is that this couple is way too young to afford a Lexus, unless they are doctors or something. Second, when I see the guy's messed up hair and scruff in contrast to the woman's sparkly diamond earrings, I'm uncertain if they "go" together. But mostly, I just think they're too young for a brand new Lexus.
Lexus December to Remember Sales Event - Ringtone: Or, Hipsters Love Lexus Too! Really!
So again, this couple looks way too young to afford a Lexus, and they don't look like doctors. How many doctors do you know that have their apartment completely furnished from Ikea and Urban Outfitters? Now, how many baristas at Starbucks who majored in art history do you know that have their apartment completely furnished from Ikea and Urban Outfitters? They don't even have a traditional Christmas tree... their presents are underneath a REINDEER. But this guy, who looks like he drives an old Volvo but might be willing to upgrade to a Prius or Mini Cooper, is excited about the Lexus from his wife. The Lexus that they can't afford. Parked outside the apartment they can't afford. Unless he owns a web company. But he still doesn't want a Lexus. At least they "go" together.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I actually have a couple of friends that are our age that are making six figures. Mind blowing, but possible.
The first commercial is stupid, but not surprising, unfortunately, since our generations priorities are quickly turning away from marriage (and consequently family). Gotta love it when the media only enforces that :/
i don't like the rock commerical either! The first time i saw it i was like what in the world.
i think that the first commercial really empowering -- i dont think it's downgrading marriage AT ALL -- i think it is trying to inspire couples to maybe take on adventures together rather than put all their money into a material object created by diamond companies to make money.
Post a Comment