Wednesday, May 7, 2008

A Look Into the Past...

Memories are such powerful things. As I sorted through some boxes and found stuff I haven't seen in years, it was crazy to remember some things, like...

Life in Texas. How much I loved fifth grade. How dreadful junior high was. Oh those awkward years. All the stories I started and never finished. Musings I had about my future husband (I found a list of qualities he must have... this list was pretty reasonable compared to others I know I wrote). People I miss. People I had forgotten. The amazing opportunities I had (multiple mission trips, camp junior counselor). My yearning to grow in Christ. Tenth grade English (almost as life changing as twelfth grade English and ENGL2030). Who has gotten engaged, married, since I moved away from Texas.

Moving to Murfreesboro. Graham with long hair. Brian with short hair. Friends I had then that I hardly see anymore. Friends I had then that are now my best friends. Anxiety about Garrett (seriously, leave me alone, I'm not interested! Or am I...?). My unlikely friendship with a guy from a class who was my complete opposite but respected me and trusted me. How much life has changed since high school.

Seeing prayers I had scribbled down, stories I had written, photos I had taken, pictures I had drawn, doodles I doodled, grades I had received, scrapbook pages I had crafted, was like rediscovering a part of me I had buried away and forgotten about. I don't dwell on the past much, which I guess it good, but sometimes you need to remember. I think it's especially important to remember your journey: how where you have gone has led you to where you are today. The different seasons in life we go through is simply mind-blowing, if you really think about it. I may not have done very many interesting things in my life, yet I think there's an interesting story to tell about my life... about the things I went through, experienced, and how they have molded me to who I am today. Perhaps I will share more on that another day.

(As a side note, I made all A's this semester! Yay! I was concerned about a couple of my classes so I am quite relived and pleased.)

2 comments:

Amy Anne said...

memories are amazing. I love them :) brian with short hair.. hmmm.. hard to think back to that time.. of course we never see him anymore, so that makes it sad :(. Here here to making straight A's! WHOOTS!

Anna said...

If you haven't already, check out Target for bookcases. We got a very pretty three shelf espresso bookcase there for $70 (it was on sale at the time, it's normally $80). They have them in five shelfs, too (as well as other colors). It's still slightly pricy, but compared to the other prices (and looks) I've seen, it's a pretty good deal.