Wednesday, May 14, 2008

The Next Martha Stewart... Or Steven Spielberg?

I just had a revelation. People get paid to write blogs. Why can't I be paid to write blogs? What an easy, fun job! I was reading a blog on Yahoo earlier today by a girl who does a weekly spill on American Idol and, quite frankly, I don't always agree with her, and today was one of those days. And that's when it hit me: I could be doing this! I could be writing this! How do I get that kind of job?!

Also, a couple of weeks ago I went to the new Michael's in town (and then again last weekend) and came upon another revelation... I want to be one of those crafty moms! In addition to my love for scrapbooking (which I have not done in ages), I could easily picture myself painting (not like pictures, but on pottery or wood or something), various DIY projects, baking and decorating cakes, etc. How fun would that be?! Who needs college?! Forget it! I can stay home and be creative!

So I always thought I'd go crazy if I had to stay home, especially without kids. Well, I still think it might be too much free time and silence without kids, but now I'm thinking after a few years in the career world (whatever the heck kind of career I end up with), I can say home, have kids, and not go crazy, blogging (professionally) and crafting away!

But then today in my summer class, which is an English class about documentaries, we watched a documentary about a guy that, for him, fulfilling the American dream is making a feature length film (sounds vaguely familiar). This guy, though uneducated, was way more determined than I ever have been on any video project, to make it work out. Now, he decided, while this documentary was being filmed, that he could not afford to shoot the feature-length film at the moment, but did decide that he wanted to finish a short film he started a while back. And again, he was just so dedicated to the project. I need to be like that. I get so easily discouraged or uninspired it's ridiculous. And I actually have formal training, unlike this guy, whose just doing it for fun! Of course, maybe the problem I have is that I have been trained and educated in this field, and have thus grown weary of it and lost my passion for it.

So, all that to say (in a sort of jumbled up way) that I just want to express myself in a creative outlet that I love. And part of me wants to keep going with the video thing, and part of me just doesn't want to think about it anymore. Later this summer, I need to get the ball rolling for my short film, and I really want to work hard and make a good product. I want to be as inspired as that guy. I don't have to do this forever. But who knows, maybe I'll go through this summer and change my mind. But at least for now, I need to complete what I have started, and finish strong. And who knows, maybe one day my training will come in handy and I can be a professional movie critic/blogger! But really, who can possibly know what the future holds? Maybe I'll do a little bit of it all...

6 comments:

Anna said...

Lol, your first paragraph defines what I do now (and will be for quite awhile). It's a lot of fun.

We need to hannnng out!!!

Lexie said...

I have a feeling the whole paid blogger phenom will die soon. But I also thought (as a young child) that DVDs would never catch on, so I may be wrong.

Anna said...

. . . ah, yes that's what I meant.

However, I am highly considering starting a couple of separate blogs over things that I'm very interested in.

One of these days, I would LOVE to have a blog like The Pioneer Woman. She doesn't get paid for it, but her blog reaches thousands of readers who utilize her site for entertainment, photography help, and cooking ideas.

Patrick said...

i've thought the same thing, how come i cant get paid to write a blog. not that i do it all that often, but i would if i got paid.

and stick with the film making, shoot, i'm sure speilberg didn't start off making full length films, and i'm sure he didnt have a big budget for the short films he made either. stick with it amy, you can make it happen.

Anna said...

Spielberg broke into the studios at USC and watched how everything worked without others knowing, lol.

Anna said...

Yeah, I actually didn't even know that my comments had the letter thing set up until I went in one day to edit some stuff. Weird.