Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Top Moments in Pop Culture: 2008

First off... Happy Christmas Eve! And since I probably won't post tomorrow, Merry Christmas!

So over the next few days I'll probably do a few different lists of top moments of and recaps (I say few, it may be this one and one other, but we'll see!) of 2008. Personally, it was a pretty good year for me, a far cry better than 2007, and I hope 2009 is even better (should be between graduation and marriage!).

So today's list, in no particular order, is (my personal opinion) Top Moments in 2008 Pop Culture. I was inspired by Yahoo's list of 2008's Top Ten TV Moments. It would be too hard for me to put them in a particular order, so I will list them as they pop to my mind. I also don't know how many I'm going to list, but I'm going to aim for 10...

1. David Cook Winning American Idol: He was consistently the best, but often overshadowed by the love of every teenybopper, David Archuletta. To see the underdog come up on top was truly rewarding, and I believe his album (released last month) is a strong beginning to his career.

2. Tina Fey as Sarah Palin: I never got into SNL, but once Tina Fey started playing Sarah Palin, I could not help but look up clip after clip of SNL skits. She was brilliant. My absolute favorite skit was the VP debate with Palin and Biden. Cracks me up every time.

3. The USA Men's Swim Team Winning The Relay: I know they won a few relays, and I can't remember the name of this particular one, but it was the one where the "Frenchies" (hey, Michael Phelp's teammate said it, not me!) were bad-mouthing the Americans beforehand. And then we beat them. In like a millisecond. It was probably the most amazing thing I have ever seen on live TV.

4. Michael Phelps Winning His 8th Gold Medal: Also amazing. Need I really say more?

5. "The Dark Knight": Wow, can I say anything else? We talked about this movie a lot in Entertainment Marketing, and about its amazing longevity in the box office. In addition to watching the amazing performance of the late Heath Ledger, the story of "The Dark Knight" seemed to truly resonate to audiences this year in a powerful, powerful way.

6. "Ironman": This would have easily been the movie of the year had it not been for "The Dark Knight." And oddly enough, the spin is completely different of the Christian Bale Batman films. Instead of having a catchphrase of "Why so serious?" while being quite serious, it really doesn't take itself seriously at all. Both of these movies will really be iconic for 2008.

7. Jim Proposes to Pam on "The Office." Call me lame, but I thought it was beautiful. :) It was definitely exciting for "Office" fans everywhere.

That's all I've got for now, so I didn't quite get to 10. What were your favorite pop culture moments of 2008?

2 comments:

Anna said...

John and I discussed this and realized we didn't pay a lot of attention to most pop culture, but we did agree on one thing:

Tennessee Titans.

Amen.

Anna said...

What sold me on Elements was a review written by a man who has taught Photoshop at a local college in his hometown for almost nine years. He said that both Elements and the full version are great products, but he has seen so many students pay the full price for the full version and be incredibly let down because they realize that they have no need to use the full version to its potential and would have been perfectly fine with Elements. He said he recommended that anybody wanting to master Photoshop just pay the $80 cost (on Amazon) and use it until they (if they) 'grow out' of it. Then they at least know they're getting their money's worth with the full version.

And I'm really glad y'all got Pyrex stuff with lids. It's so much easier to carry and makes storing leftovers a cinch!