Monday, April 13, 2009

The Crazy Week That Became Crazier

So on Wednesday I said, "This week has been crazy and it's only Wednesday." Well, it got crazier.

Thursday was good. I had my Honors Thesis Defense and... *drum roll* I made an A! Hallelujah! What a huge relief!

Then came Good Friday. Of course we all know about the tornadoes that came through town that day. My street was very close to some really bad damage. I was really not too far away at all from homes that were completely destroyed. But I am so thankful and feel so blessed that our damage was all exterior and very minimal. The tree in our front yard is gone, a column or two from our porch got knocked off (glad those are just decorative and not for actual support), we have a cracked window, our roof needs some work, and a couple of other small things, but I am just so thankful that was it. We didn't have power until yesterday and we won't have cable (TV or Internet) for a few days, but my house is intact, so I really can't complain.

When I heard about the damage nearby and was left to wonder what happened at my house (I was at work and my mom was on her way to find out), I thought about what I felt I couldn't live without, and what I felt I could. While I would hate to lose the final edit of my project on my iMac, I had some of it backed up. I could live without the computer. I would be sad for my clothes, but clothes are replaceable. Mostly I would be upset about my journals, my pictures, my favorite stuffed animal from my childhood. I was worried about wedding stuff, wedding shower gifts, and my wedding band as well, but knew those were replaceable as well. But at the end, whether I had nothing or everything, I knew God would still be in control.

Brother Dean talked about Job at church, and I appreciated that he did that instead of the Easter message he was going to preach (though I'm sure it would have been great). I was touched to see a couple that lost their home still singing in the choir. I have been amazed to hear stories of goodwill and outreach, as well as survival stories. Instead of asking, "Why did this have to happen?", we can look and see many examples and ways God provided and protected a lot of people.

He is alive.

3 comments:

Lexie said...

it is weird how a natural disaster can come through and make you realize how temporary and replaceable "things" are. i'm glad your home and family are safe!

Anna said...

Surprisingly enough, Stephanie Renfroe's scrapbooks and her favorite doll all made it out safely. It was just a matter of FINDING them. I was trying to decide what I would look for first if our place got demolished, and I decided on my Chacos and the copy of Little Women John gave me.

B K Kenobi said...

i'm glad you and your family made it out safe and that you did well on your thesis. yay!

i'll have to think on what things i would want to save . . .