Monday, April 20, 2009

Learning from a Legacy

Today marks the 10th anniversary of the tragedy of Columbine High School. I read an article recently in USA Today that dispelled the popular myths of the shooting, which you can read about here. Of course, no one will ever know what the real truth is, since everything was exaggerated at first and now it's been toned down, but essentially, the killers weren't necessarily bullied around and Cassie Bernall really might not have said "yes."

But hearing stories about Columbine changed my life when I was younger. While everyone was jumping on the Cassie bandwagon (and there's nothing wrong with her story, regardless of whether or not she did not actually have the chance to say "yes" I still believe wholeheartedly that she lived and died for God), I became interested in the story of another victim that day: Rachel Scott. She was also a Christian and her heart for God inspired me. Her father wrote a few books about her that included portions of her journals and they just blew me away. In some ways I felt I had a lot in common with Rachel, in other ways not too much, but mostly I just wanted to live my life as passionately as she did. Her passion has definitely left a lasting impression and legacy. It's amazing what one girl's kindness can lead to. Her story has reached even the unexpected. (If you Google you can find even more of these articles and websites.)

It reminds me of "No Man Is an Island" (John Donne's meditation that I had to memorize perfectly is AP English my senior year):
No man is an island entire of itself; every man
is a piece of the continent, a part of the main;
if a clod be washed away by the sea, Europe
is the less, as well as if a promontory were, as
well as any manner of thy friends or of thine
own were; any man's death diminishes me,
because I am involved in mankind.
And therefore never send to know for whom
the bell tolls; it tolls for thee.


Every life we hear about can effect us. Every life we know us certainly will effect us and shape us. It's just fascinating when you think about it.

But I got off an a tangent. The original point of this post was to honor Columbine, and to do so because it has probably changed my life. Not in the same drastic way as it did for those who had to suffer through the tragedy firsthand, but it helped my spiritual life as a teen. And that has consequently led me to where I am today, even if I'm not consciously thinking of Rachel or Columbine.

It's amazing how quickly life can change. It's amazing how simply you can change the world.

3 comments:

B K Kenobi said...

it's really hard to believe that that happened ten years ago . . . it still feels like yesterday.

like you, a lot of the stories affected me pretty strongly as a kid, and you make a good point in saying that any life we hear about can affect us--more than we really think.

i liked this post a lot, amy the powers. :)

Anna said...

I think Columbine affected me more negatively than I wish. It was watching the story unfold on TV that I realized that the world wasn't as safe as I thought it to be.

I hadn't heard Rachel's story before, but I did check out the site. I think it's neat that so many years later parent's are still keeping their child's legacy alive.

Amy Anne said...

I can't believe its been 10 years either.

I can't wait to try the BBQ meatballs at the wedding. Mine had onions in them.. and homemade BBQ sauce. Not sure how yours are going to be. :)