Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Movie Review: Iron Man 2

Fun. If only one word could be used to describe the first installment of Iron Man, it would be fun. While other super hero movies take darker routes (Batman), traditional routes (X-Men), or just turn out disappointing (Superman), Iron Man went for a much more light-hearted approach, which seemed appropriate for a main character who is a carefree rich playboy. The ending left audiences stunned as Tony Stark casually announces at a press conference, "The truth is, I am Iron Man."

Iron Man 2 opens a bit more seriously, with an old and dying man watching Tony Stark's press conference in his dingy Siberian apartment, apologizing to his son by saying, "That should be you." After the father dies, we see the son working on a project, that is later revealed to be a suit he uses against Iron Man. Months later, Tony Stark introduces the new Stark Expo, and his ego and personality are as big as ever. When he is summoned to court to discuss if his suit is a dangerous weapon, Tony treats the summoning casually and claims that those accusing him of being dangerous are overreacting and that no one can replicate Iron Man anytime soon. His argument is debunked shortly thereafter though, when Ivan Vanko (the Siberian we see creating a suit) comes after Iron Man and creates substantial damage.

Tony's competition in the weapon industry, Justin Hammer, joins is another antagonist who helps Ivan escape jail and use him to create a suit like Iron Man's and defeat him, though Ivan uses his own creative liberties along the way to carry out his own plan. Meanwhile, Tony is slowly dying from the poison of the palladium in his arc reactor (which is what keeps his heart beating), and on his birthday takes this as an excuse to get drunk and act how he wishes, which ends in a battle with his best friend Rhodey and a visit from Nick Fury. In true fun Iron Man fashion, Nick Fury and Iron Man meet in a donut shop.

I won't bore you with more summary, however. Just rest assured that Tony lives to save the day.

So how does Iron Man 2 stack up next to the first Iron Man? I have to say, I felt it was a pretty strong sequel. I would not say it was better, like The Dark Knight (though Batman Begins is great), but it is different. It is still funny and quirky, but it is just a tad darker than Iron Man. While the beginning of Iron Man was a little dark, having more emphasis on villains and on Tony's mortality made Iron Man 2 a bit darker. It is definitely more of a roller coaster ride; the first Iron Man is easier to watch, but the second installment offers more to the story. It may almost be a little too much, though it is not nearly as guilty as Spider-man 3.

An interesting dynamic to this movie was the relationship between Tony and Rhodey. Their friendship was established in the first movie, but with a change in actor, it definitely changed. Was it for better or worse?
I have to say, Terrence Howard and Don Cheadle play different Rhodeys. That almost bothered me, like how Rachel Dawes seemed so different between Batman Begins and The Dark Knight when the actress changed, but I think the character was still the same. Rhodey was still Rhodey, but I think Cheadle emphasizes different aspects of Rhodey than Howard did. And even though Cheadle and Howard look very different, I think Cheadle did as well as he could as Rhodey, and I think I might have liked him better, which surprised me; but who knows, maybe I just like Iron Man 2 Rhodey better. Either way, Rhodey plays a larger role in this movie: trying to help Tony out with a bit of tough love, struggling to follow orders that are not in his friend's benefit, and becoming Iron Man's side kick (though he insists he does not need one).

Iron Man 2 has a lot of the same spirit as the first movie, but it adds a little more, which I think is what a sequel ought to be. I enjoyed it and would be excited to see Iron Man 3 if it came out.

1 comment:

Amy Anne said...

see, i saw it, and i honestly wasn't impressed. i kept thinking when is this going to be over with. Which was kinda sad, cuz i was really looking forward to it.