Monday, June 7, 2010

"Your life is an occasion. Rise to it."

Have you ever seen Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium? In case you haven't, let me fill you in on the basics. The story centers around Molly Mahoney, a twenty-three year old aspiring musician who is the manager at Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium, a magical toy store (just suspense your disbelief). It is run by the (also magical) Mr. Magorium, who is 243 years old. In the story, Mr. Magorium has decided it's his time to go, and hires an accountant to find the value of the store. He intends to give the store to Molly, who is unaware of this until the store throws a temper tantrum (remember, it's magical) and Mr. Magorium is forced to reveal his intentions. For the rest of the movie, Molly struggles with her feelings of inadequacy. She wants to write her first original composition, she wants to have a real job, she wants people to see a "sparkle" in her, but she feels like she doesn't measure up. And when I watched this movie again Saturday night with Garrett, I thought of how I could relate all to well, Here are some of the movie's noteworthy quotes...


Molly Mahoney: I'm stuck!
Mr. Magorium: Oh, to my floor?
Molly Mahoney: No, sir.
Mr. Magorium: Then what?
Molly Mahoney: Like a person. You remember when I was a little girl and I could play Rahmaninov's Second Piano Concerto and everyone was talking about my potential?
Mr. Magorium: Mhm.
Molly Mahoney: Well, I am 23 now and everyone's still talking about my potential but if you ask me to play the song I know best... I'll still play Rachmaninov's Second.
Mr. Magorium: May I suggest you stun the world with Molly Mahoney's First?


Molly Mahoney: I can't take the Emporium.
Mr. Magorium: But you told me you needed a new occupation.
Molly Mahoney: I meant writing music, not running the Emporium.
Mr. Magorium: Why not? You'd do a splendid job of it.
...
Molly Mahoney: But what if I don't want the Emporium?
Mr. Magorium: Why would you not want the Emporium?
Molly Mahoney: Because I can't run it.
Mr. Magorium: Why not?
Molly Mahoney: Because... you have to run it.
Mr. Magorium: That's not a good reason.
Molly Mahoney: It's called Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium! It rhymes!
Mr. Magorium: Oh!
Molly Mahoney: Not to mention the fact that... you're magic, and I'm not. Besides, what are you supposed to do if I'm running the emporium?
Mr. Magorium: I'm leaving.


Henry Weston: ...It's just, I felt awful because I didn't want you to think I didn't care, and - and I do care. It's just... some people bring flowers or send a card or hug people. You know, I make sure that people's paperwork is all filled out properly, and... so... today, I thought I'd try something different. Cause I like you. You know, I do want to help.
Molly Mahoney: ...When you look at me, what do you see?
Henry Weston: Really pretty eyes?
Molly Mahoney: No I mean... like, do you see a sparkle?
Henry Weston: You mean, now? Like, glitter on your face?
Molly Mahoney: No, like, you know, a sparkle.
Henry Weston: I... What kind of sparkle?
Molly Mahoney: Like... something reflective of something bigger that's trying to get out. You know what, never mind.
Henry Weston: It might not be so much a sparkle. Maybe uh, more of a twinkle?
Molly Mahoney: Forget it.
Henry Weston: Or a glint?
Molly Mahoney: It's okay.
Henry Weston: Uh, you've got that thing that you do with your hands. [referring to when Molly plays the air piano with her fingers; this plays a big part of the end of the movie]
Molly Mahoney: That's a quirk.
Henry Weston: Quirk's not a sparkle?
Molly Mahoney: Mm-mm.
Henry Weston: Oh.


Mr. Magorium: [to Molly, about dying] When King Lear dies in Act V, do you know what Shakespeare has written? He's written "He dies." That's all, nothing more. No fanfare, no metaphor, no brilliant final words. The culmination of the most influential work of dramatic literature is "He dies." It takes Shakespeare, a genius, to come up with "He dies." And yet every time I read those two words, I find myself overwhelmed with dysphoria. And I know it's only natural to be sad, but not because of the words "He dies." but because of the life we saw prior to the words.
[pause, walks over to Molly]
Mr.  Magorium: I've lived all five of my acts, Mahoney, and I am not asking you to be happy that I must go. I'm only asking that you turn the page, continue reading... and let the next story begin. And if anyone asks what became of me, you relate my life in all its wonder, and end it with a simple and modest "He died."
Molly Mahoney: [starting to sob] I love you.
Mr. Magorium: I love you, too.
[picks Molly up, sighs heavily]
Mr. Magorium: Your life is an occasion. Rise to it.


After Mr. Magorium passes, Molly puts the store up for sale. Nine-year-old Eric pleads with Molly not to sell the store, and approaches Henry, the accountant. It's Henry, who never believed in the magic of the store, who helps Molly see her potential and the potential in the now-dismayed store, and she's the one who brings it back to life.

I've always enjoyed this movie because it's fun, quirky, and has a good story, but I see more to it now. The guy who directed and wrote this movie is only 11 years older than me, and this movie was released in 2007. It's hard to believe that someone so young and accomplished may have once been plagued with the same doubts and uncertainties that I have, but I'm starting to think he would have had to in order to write this story so poignantly. It's easy to say, "I can't," to get discouraged, to hit a brick wall, but change can always be just around the corner. We must strive for more. I'm 23 and I feel stuck as a person, but I don't know what awaits me.

Also, we're all different; Henry is practical and makes sure everyone has the proper forms filled out, whereas Molly is much more emotional and artistic. But they need each other. As Molly has Henry, I have my own accountant who is helping me. And I'm so thankful for that.

1 comment:

Anna W. said...

What was ironic was that when I told people I had to have a c-section, the ones who hadn't had one had nothing but negative things to say, whereas the women who did have one were positive about them-- go figure. The most painful experience of the entire time I was at the hospital was when my nurse had to turn me over and take the tape keeping the epidural in off my back. . . seriously painful.

I haven't ever seen this movie, but after reading through these quotes, I kind of want to now.