Thursday, August 26, 2010

Brighter Days

Time keeps moving on/ Through the sunshine and the storm/ And my dreams are set in stone/ And someday I'll be who I want to be/ For now I'll wait... And I'm looking for the brighter days/ When all my hurts seem to fade away/ I'm looking for the brighter days/ to come my way
- Leeland, "Brighter Days"

Yesterday was a much better day. I spent some time with one of my older Tennessee friends (as in the length of our friendship) who had the day off. Sometimes we have a hard time staying connected for whatever reason and so our hanging out can be sporadic, but I think this is the beginning of her coming back into my life, especially since she might move into my neighborhood! I like that whenever we haven't seen each other for a while, we can just pick up where we left off. We also got to visit with a couple of our other friends briefly, and it was nice.

(This is the group I saw yesterday, though this picture was taken a few months ago. I love all these girls.)

Tonight I will be going to a concert with my eighth grade small group girls, after unfortunately having seen them very little this summer, and I know that will be fun. And in a few weeks we will finally be meeting regularly again, which I am afraid may come right as I begin my next temp job (assuming it all goes through, but it should), but I will just have to relearn how to prioritize my time like I did once upon a time when I had a busy life.
(A handful of the girls at our Christmas party last December.)

So I mentioned last time my trip to Mississippi over the weekend. The nice thing about this trip was that we were there for my grandmother's birthday. I can't remember the last time I was around for that, but I'm sure it was way back when I lived in Mississippi as a toddler. We also got to spend a lot more time with everyone (meaning Grandma, my aunt, and my uncle) at once than we usually do. Since the summer of 2007 when both of my grandfathers died, it has been important to me to cherish the time I have when I visit my grandma.

The day we got back from Mississippi was the one year anniversary of Callie Bear being with us. So we took a family portrait.

(She almost always has the deer-in-the-headlights look when we take her picture.)

For those who have been reading my blog for a while, you'll remember Callie was almost a year ago when we got her; look how scrawny she was!

And oh-so-cute. Though she's still cute, and still pretty small compared to other cats we know.

Lastly, I don't think I mentioned on here I finished a draft of my novel a couple of weeks ago. I was kind of in shock when it happened. But I sent it off to four of my friends to analyze, and have gotten a copy of it back with comments from one of these people so far, which I intend to read soon. However, I also decided to print off a copy of it for Garrett to read on our way to Mississippi. He read the whole thing on the trip there, which was not a surprise to me since it is relatively short, but I have to say, I was nervous the whole time! He had actually not read any of my fiction writing before the trip, so it was kind of a big deal. But he really, really liked it. He told me he thought it could have been written by an actual published author, and that was what I needed to hear. He did offer some constructive criticism, but everything he brought up was something I had been uncertain about, so he only affirmed some of the things I had wondered about. But overall, he thought it was great. I know he's my husband and he's biased, but I know he would be straightforward with me if he thought otherwise. So now I finally feel like maybe my life is really heading in that direction. Maybe I really will be published one day. Maybe this time of unemployment was so I could do what I love and needed to. I sure hope so. I'm really trying to trust God with it.

3 comments:

B K Kenobi said...

Your story is awesome and it will be published. I know it. Glad you're doing better. :)

Grace said...

I agree with Brian. Just have to fix a few of those typos. ;)

Lexie said...

congratulations on finishing a draft of your novel! that's huge, amy!