Friday, August 27, 2010

Hobbies

Most hobbies require two things: time and money. Some require talent too, but let's just focus on time and money. In college, I had money. I was not a "poor college student" since I got paid to go to school, lived at home, worked, and saved a lot of my money. Not to say I was rich, but I had money to buy things that I wanted. But unfortunately, I did not have a lot of time, so things like writing and scrapbooking were sent to the back burner.

After college when I found myself unemployed, I had time... but not a lot of money to play with. Again, not to say that I/we are poor, because we aren't, but on one (not very high) income, you learn to stick with the essentials. Since writing costs basically nothing, I was able to invest a lot of time into it, but again, not so much the scrapbooking as those little papers and things can add up.

So today I went to Target and happened to see that the new Jo-Ann in town is open, so I decided to go check it out. It was way crowded (apparently everyone got the memo about the store opening) so it was hard for me to look around a lot without being in someone's way, but I did notice they had a lot of cute fabrics. A few months ago, I decided it would be neat to use fabric as artwork, like this:

The instructions sounded relatively easy, so I hoped that when Jo-Ann opened, I would find some fabric that I liked and could do this with. I definitely saw some potential, and look forward to having a closer look. I also wondered what else I could do with fabric without getting into some serious sewing (because I don't think I have the patience for it), and I thought perhaps something like throw pillows would be simple enough to handle:

So these are two things I might try out once I have more money again, time permitting, of course. But thankfully neither project sounds like too long of a process (especially if I get my mom to help me... especially with the pillows). In my wandering around, I also saw a large bead/jewelry section, which looked like something I might could find interest in.

Thoughts on my possible projects? Anybody found any new hobbies lately?

5 comments:

Lexie said...

i wish i had time for hobbies! for now blogging is my only hobby (lame!) ... and running too, i suppose!

Amy Anne said...

i wanted to make a floating upholstered head board for the guest bedroom one day. Maybe I will find some time in the summer or during winter break to tackle it! Having hobbies is a good thing, when you have free time!! :)

Anna W. said...

JoAnn is definitely going to be a hit since the only other fabric store there is dinky ol' Hancock (and Hobby Lobby, but they really aren't a store that specializes in fabric).

No new hobbies for me, I'm just sticking with sewing and photography. I'll be honest with you though, hand sewing throw pillows is a little difficult mostly because you need the edges to be tightly sewn or else all of the stuffing will fall out. But seriously, you could totally learn to sew! There are times I hate my machine (lol), but the finished product is so worth the frustration.

So glad to hear JoAnn is finally open. The Boro was in desperate need of a store that had better fabric selections.

Anna W. said...

OH, and one site I LOVE (it's also on the side of my blog) is makeit-loveit.com She has a TON of no sew tutorials that are super easy, cute and quick to accomplish.

Anna W. said...

Third comment, sorry. I just realized you never mentioned actually hand sewing pillows. I'm a ditz. That site I gave you have some great, simple tutorials that I'm using right now on pillows, and all they require is a simple stitch on a sewing machine.