Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Fame and Fortune and the Like

So out of nowhere, I picked up this fascination with Kate Middleton, Prince William's bride-to-be. Did I ever care about her (or Prince William for that matter) before this week? Nope. But now something is different. I think all those girly "princess dreams" and the fascination of celebrities we all seem to have (and apparently I prefer Kate to Lady Gaga because, let's face it, she's much classier) is wearing off on me. Kate comes from a "wealthy commoner" family, and somehow, somewhere along the way she caught the eye of a Prince and they began a relationship. I mean, isn't that what every girl at least subconsciously dreams of?! Isn't that what Cinderella and all those stories teach us about romance, is that we're waiting for a prince? Don't get me wrong, I'm so happy with Garrett and would not trade our love story for one with a prince, but this is really like watching a Disney princess movie unfold... and I can't help but be mesmorized. And I like her style. Like the dress she wore for the big announcement...

And while I'm not a fan of the hat, I love this jacket...
(On the right obviously, not the left...)
And again, love the coat (but not not the hat)...
But moving on from Kate to a less romantic topic...

Apparently Bill Nye (yes, the science guy) collapsed while giving a lecture. And the reaction of the witnesses? Well, it wasn't to check on him, but to update their Twitter accounts and Facebook statuses about the ordeal! The article I linked to goes on to explain similar instances where people cared more about capturing the cruel moment on their phone than about what was happening. It reminds me of my favorite commercial currently on the air...

At the moment I have a cruddy flip phone and my two years with it are up, so I'm looking for what's next. I would kind of like a smart phone but aside from the cost of it, I also worry I might just become glued to it. I don't want to become out of touch. I know this doesn't happen to everyone, but it's something I've been thinking about. But I'm not really trying to blame smart phones. I think there's a lot of social psychology and sociology going on here. I just can't help but wonder if one day, will we become so out of touch with reality that we stop caring about it? This could be an interesting plot for a story, which brings me to my last stop on the news reel today...

So Amazon is accepting move scripts from aspiring writers. And there's a chance for one or a few of these scripts to be made into a real movie. There's a year until the deadline. So if you need me... I'll be busy working on my script... now I just need to decide which story to work on...

3 comments:

Amy Anne said...

I think its cool that prince william proposed with princess diana's ring! Its so pretty!! And big!!

rachael said...

I, too, have become interested in their story. It is like a Disney story unfolding... One that I wished for when I was little.. when I had a crush on Prince William :) haha so romantic to meet a real prince and fall in love!

Anna W. said...

I never got in to the whole princess/Prince Charming thing (which is probably why Beauty and the Beast is my favorite Disney movie), but I think it's neat just because this is the first major royal engagement in awhile! Although I'm not sure how romantic it would be to always have cameras documenting your every move! . . I also thought it was very sweet that he used his mom's ring!