Sunday, November 28, 2010

Post #300: Thanksgiving Break

I had a wonderful four day weekend, but I managed to stay so busy that it still did not feel long enough!

Thursday: Thanksgiving day obviously. Garrett and I watched the Macy's parade, which I found to be not be too exciting this year as far as the floats and guests went. I still enjoyed watching it with Garrett though. After that I got ready, then baked some cupcakes (after eliminating several cookie recipes due to lack of ingredients... oops...), and then we headed off to our Thanksgiving meal at Garrett's parents'. Garrett's parents, grandparents, aunt, uncle, and cousins were there, along with us and my mom. Unfortunately my dad was sick and unable to make it. We had a good time visiting and of course ate a lot of good food.


Friday: Garrett and I slept in and ate breakfast before doing our shopping... online. We decided that this year for Christmas instead of buying each other presents, we were going to get a laptop to share. Seeing as we both have desktops, neither of us need a laptop for a primary computer, but it can certainly be useful. As we looked for what we would get, I noticed that Dell had released a tablet/laptop hybrid that I would have loved to get under different circumstances (as you may recall I have been interested in something like that), but decided against it for this time around. After that, we got down the Christmas tree and decorations and put everything up! While we were doing this, we got a call from our friends and future neighbors Ashley and Jaime about checking out their new house sometime during the day.

So after decorating, eating, and cleaning everything up, we headed over to the house. It's a foreclosure so they are having to replace all the flooring, paint every room, and do a lot of other work to the house. Hopefully they will meet their end of the year deadline and we can look forward to seeing them more.

After that, we relaxed a little while and tried out some new yummy pizza from Pizza Hut for dinner

before hitting a few stores. We weren't looking for deals; I just needed some hair conditioner and Garrett some shoes. We got both, and managed to see some other friends while we were out. Then we finally went home and settled down to watch A Charlie Brown Christmas and It's Christmastime Again, Charlie Brown.

Saturday: We had Thanksgiving lunch with my in-town family plus the Mississippi cousins that came in, including one who turned 15 that day. (By the way, can't believe he's 15... I remember when he was a baby! I remember holding him when he was a baby! Crazy!) After that we went to the MTSU game, which they actually won, yay! Then we came home and watched the Santa Clause 2. Yes, we are obviously getting in the Christmas spirit! Unfortunately we don't have many more Christmas movies, but Garrett intends to borrow some from his parents, and I think it might be worth going to Hasting's soon to see if we can find any good deals on any.

Today (Sunday) was pretty typical. Though I had a great trip to Kroger where I saved twenty-something dollars! I was very excited! I saved over $16 with my Kroger card and the rest was coupons. Yay! That's still no where near what a lot of other people do, but it was probably my best shopping trip for savings and I had no idea it would be that good until it rang up.

Soon I'll share pictures of our tree and living room in general as curtains have finally been put up and a very special picture should be making its way to our home soon. I'm also creating a list of goals that I hope to accomplish in the next couple of years and will share about that sometime.

How was your Thanksgiving break?

7 comments:

Grace said...

Good choice on not getting the Dell. Their desktops are pretty good, but I don't know anyone who's had a good experience with their laptops, myself included.

Anna W. said...

my 'baby' cousin will be 17 in January-- i vividly remember sitting in the waiting room the night he was born, gah!

Amy Shaw said...

Guess I didn't make it clear that we did get a Dell laptop, but just a regular one and not the tablet thing I was talking about. I've heard some bad stories about their laptops but good ones too, and from personal experience, mine is still running at nearly 6 years old. We got a powerful one so I think that ought to keep it alive.

Amy Anne said...

have you tried the papa murphy's cheese bread? oh its amazing goodness! we just eat that sometimes for dinner :)

Kroger has the mega deal going on, this is when you stock up and save big, just so ya know.. and it will be going on next week too :)

Amy Shaw said...

We had it, but Garrett isn't very impressed with it. But I'm impressed with just about anything dipped in marinara!

Um, can Kroger have the mega deal every week?! That would be great! :)

Amy Anne said...

tell garrett that is just fine without the marinara! it rocks! and they've been having it quite a bit here recently. Keebler cookies (grasshopper, aka, girl scout thin mints) are on sale.. along with velvetta shells and cheese. Chex cereal for making like party chex and muddy buddies are part of it too! You can tell what I'm making this weekend :)

Amy said...

Marinara is not the problem for Garrett, he just doesn't think the bread is cheesy enough!