Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Techie Talk Part 2

Previously I discussed what about the iPad concept I liked, and what I thought could be worked on, and also took a look at an HP touchscreen laptop that sounded pretty neat. Today while browsing my Yahoo "news," I ran across a list of the "Best Laptops and Desktops of 2010." One of these was the Lenovo IdeaPad U1 Hybrid, its name catching my eye because of the word hybrid. Here's the description for it: "Does Apple's iPad announcement have you wondering whether to buy a tablet or a notebook? Now you can get both in one. Using a separate battery and processor in both the screen and base, the U1 literally splits apart to turn the laptop screen into a dedicated tablet running a custom Linux OS. (Traditional convertible tablets merely swivel around the screen, which keeps all the bulk of the base attached in tablet mode.) Although this CES 2010 announcement hasn't yet come to fruition, the very concept of it should keep potential PC buyers on their toes this year."

Oh yeah, and it's $1000, the price I mentioned for my idea that sounded a lot like this. I knew it was a good idea! It sounds like they're still working on developing it, but it definitely has the potential to be something unique. I have to admit though, I know nothing of Lenovo and am pretty loyal to Dell and Apple, but I will be interested in hearing more about it when it comes out. You can read a pre-release review of it and some pictures here.

What do you guys think of this concept? Does it sound like something you would be interested in using?

4 comments:

Anna W. said...

I was loyal to Dell until I got an HP; not I'm not sure I'll ever go back, lol.

Out of those ten computers, the one I want the most (and even if it wasn't listed I'd still want it) is HP's Touch Smart. I'm not really a big fan of the whole tablet thing, but that's really just b/c it isn't practical for what I'd need it for.

Oh, Dell does have an all in one computer with touch screen capabilities (Dell Studio One 19); I know you're more on the market for a laptop, but this one is pretty nifty.

Lexie said...

I am soooo not a tech person! When I got to college most of my friends ragged on my because my laptop is SOOO SLOW (and it was brand new at the time ... i think i just have bad luck)!

So anyway, I dread the day I have to upgrade my laptop! ahhh

Amy Anne said...

I think Betty Crocker makes the best cookbooks! Just an opinion.

And I'm glad you posted that one, Kenneth just asked me what laptop I would want. Thinking it will be for a birthday or wedding present. Since this one is about to see its doom. 6 years and going strong.. minus the great bursts of the blue screen of death.. :)

Amy Anne said...

we went to street tuxedo, and picked out a few. I have colors in mind now, if we are doing the tux route. The only problem is a tux is like $130 to rent. We went to eat at Panera and I was like hey while we are down here, lets go to mens warehouse. So we went in there, and I found a white and brown pin striped shirt along with a tie, that looks amazing together. And of course the chocolate brown pants. They would be buying these for about $100 total. And they could wear them again. The sales person pulled out the brown shirt and my eyes lite up! I'm not getting so worried about the orange anymore. They will have orange roses. But now I'm torn cuz my dress is SUPER formal, and I don't want them to look bad if I decide to go with a casual look for them. Haha. I'm having issues! Can ya tell?