Saturday, March 27, 2010

About Being Employed

Well, I have quickly learned that working full-time is time consuming! I guess that's no real surprise, but I've had to restructure my whole schedule to wake up at 5 AM, which means lights out comes much earlier. Garrett and I used to watch Star Trek together at 9; now we're watching it at 7:30. I get home around 4, at which point I check my Internet stuff, exercise, cook, eat, clean up, maybe do a little bit more on the computer, watch Star Trek with Garrett, get ready for bed, go to bed. Needless to say, I don't have very much free time anymore! But don't get me wrong, I'm very grateful for this opportunity. It's nice to have some more experience to put on my resume, and it's nice that we're going to have a little extra money (though of course we also just got our house tax refund and our regular tax refund so that's helped pad our savings!). I'm learning new skills and readjusting to structured schedule. I think there are definitely more pros than cons in this situation.

All this to say though, I may not be blogging as much or leaving as many comments on other blogs, though I'm really going to try and keep up! And if you're keeping up with my writing blog, that is definitely going to be a lot slower now.

But I digress...

I am starting to wonder what the near future holds for me, after this temp job. This was something that just completely fell into my lap, and I can't help but wonder why it was just now something worked out, and if something more permanent will ever work out so well for me? I accepted several months ago that I would probably end up with a job that I was alright with and end up doing what I loved on the side. But who knows what can happen? I'm not saying this to get my hopes up, I just wonder. Maybe when I get the job I'll think it's just "alright," but end up really loving it, even if it's not something I've dreamed about doing since I was a little girl. Or who knows, maybe I'll just work whatever kind of jobs but end up landing something amazing later in life. It's not as if all the happiness and fulfillment in my life depends upon what happens at the age of 23. And I wish I would stop obsessing about employment, because when it comes down to it, there are a lot of things I want to do with my life, and none of them are really associated with having a career. (I do want to write a book and help make a movie, but neither of these necessarily mean committing to a career.)

Anyhow, I don't know where this is going, just wanted to write out some of my thoughts.

1 comment:

Lexie said...

5 AM is earrrrly for an everyday schedule! i wake up at 6 AM three days a week though, and that is just absurd for a college student, lol.