Sunday, March 21, 2010

Adventures of an (almost free) Sunday

Sundays are typically very busy for us. We go to church in the morning, usually out to eat for lunch, and then we're only at home for a little while before Garrett has go to orchestra practice. And as soon as he gets home from practice, it's my turn to run to the church for my small group with seventh grade girls. Well today we didn't go out for lunch, and I didn't have small group, so I had a lot more free time. Since tomorrow I am driving to Smyrna to meet with someone about a temp. job (praying this works out), I decided to take advantage of my extra time today and go grocery shopping.

First off, it was raining. Since it hasn't rained in so long, I think I kind of forgot what that meant. I knew I would get a little wet, but I was no where near ready for the absolute MONSOON that was going on when I got to the store! Kroger is a little bit more out of my way than Publix and Wal-Mart are, so I felt like since I had made it there, I should just go ahead and go in. Oh my word. I was definitely a drowned rat in no time. The bottom of my jeans were soaked through, sticking to my skin, and my tennis shoes were all wet. Definitely not fun! But I carried on with my shopping.

Then I'm done and looking for a check-out line. I see Amy and go to her line. We chat and my groceries are bagged, and I head towards the door. I stop in the little area between the store and the outside where the shopping carts are to put my receipt in my wallet... and that's when I notice that my driver's license is missing! I check all through my purse and don't see it. I am ready to flip! I went back to Amy to make sure I hadn't left it at the counter, though I was pretty sure I had not taken it out, and it turned out I had not, so I just had to head home.

I look around once I got home, even checking my mailbox in case someone found it and brought it by. I call Garrett in a panic, and I notice my phone sounds a lot softer and doesn't seem to be working as well, and wonder if it got affected by the rain. Great. We talk and he's finishing up practice and then he has to go to his parents' to pick up something (which I already knew about). I asked him to get some rice from them since we don't have any at home and I think my phone's on the fritz. We hang up and I end up calling my mom too, lamenting that the DMV is closed on Mondays and that I need to drive to Smyrna tomorrow, license in hand or no.

Then I try to motivate myself to make the semi-homemade pizza I had planned on making. I'm working on the homemade crust (my first time doing so) when Garrett calls me on his way home, asking me several questions to force me to remember where my license could be or where I might have last seen it. Nothing was clicking until he asked if it could be in any pants or anything. Usually the answer would easily be no, but then I remembered it could be yes, because I had stuck my license in my jeans' pocket on Friday when I walked on the Greenway with Elissa. I had washed those jeans just recently, and checked both the jeans and the washer. Nothing. I told him it was possible that I stuck it my camera bag later instead of my wallet, though I didn't think. I briefly checked but didn't see it.

Garrett gets home and I'm waiting for the crust dough while it's sitting, and he decides to help me look around. Meanwhile I stick my phone in the rice. He checks my car again, looks through my purse again, and then looks through my camera bag again. Lo and behold, there it was! Hallelujah! I can hardly believe I had misplaced it and then that it took me nearly two days to realize it was missing! When I text Mom the good news and then she texts me back, my phone sounds louder and like it is functioning again.

I semi-baked the crust, as instructed by my recipe, before putting on toppings. It was totally lumpy so I had to smooth it out, but it looked and smelled good. I was concerned that the pizza (technically two mini pizzas) were going to turn out to be a failure, but after Garrett and I worked together to put on the toppings and put them in the oven, I began to hope that maybe it wouldn't be such a disaster. Well, they weren't perfect or real pretty, but still pretty good, and that is what counts in the end.

So what seemed at first to be a potentially disastrous day, really turned out to be pretty good. I believe I can file this under "things to be thankful for."

1 comment:

Amy Anne said...

glad you were able to find it! and it was good seeing ya!