I wanted to share these since they're festive. I actually made these a few days ago for a Sunday school party, but we still have some leftover in our fridge, so they're coming with us tonight when we hang out with friends! The green icing is just homemade buttercream with green food coloring. I absolutely love baking. :)
I went to the new Mexican restaurant today in town, Chuy's. I had gotten really excited about it because it's from Texas and I thought: yes, real Tex-Mex! I had also heard a lot of good things about it from those who had been to the one in Franklin. Well, I've got to tell you the truth, I was a little bit disappointed. I had the Deluxe Quesadillas and they were nothing special, though I'd be happy to be try something else next time.
Another big bummer was the salsa. Someone told me they had a salsa bar, so I imagined just this long row of salsa after salsa. Well, first off, I did not see a salsa bar, but secondly, the choices were not as great as I had hoped. The salsa they brought out with our chips was fine. I liked the taste fine but it was real watery, and I really would have preferred more tomato taste. Then the waitress brought us a "Creamy Jalapeno" salsa. She claimed it was the greatest thing ever. I'm not normally a fan of jalapeno things, but after my mom said, "It tastes like ranch dressing," I decided to try it. It was fine, not hot or like a jalapeno, but it definitely tasted like seasoned ranch. Kind of weird for a Mexican salsa.
Then we talked to the waitress and asked if they had a more tomato-based salsa. She said they had one for kids but it was super bland and no one really likes it (then why are you making it...?). But she also said they had a TexMex sauce, that was the kid's salsa mixed with something else, and offered to bring a sample of that. Well, it was just fine, but not like a salsa. It was more like sauce you'd pour on top of your enchilada or something. Weird. So, Chuy's gets a "C" for their salsa, but I want to try one or two other meals before I decide for certain about the food. I will say the chips were GREAT. They were very thin and both Mom and I liked that a lot. They were really good enough to eat alone, which is a big deal coming from me. I definitely wish I had stopped by Blue Coast Burrito on the way over there though and brought their salsa with me. They have the best ever, in my opinion. :)
But in better news, Mom and I went to The Avenue, and we got the last bit of my china that is getting discontinued (so sad), and she bought a dress from Ann Taylor Loft for me. It's different from other dresses I have and in a pretty purple so I'm excited. I love dresses! If I ever get a job I intend to wear them more, at least when the weather's warm.
How was your St. Patrick's Day?
6 comments:
Real Tex-Mex is not as good as Mexican restaurants. FTW. ;-)
This may be true. When I say Tex-Mex, I'm comparing it to my favorite Mexican restaurant in Texas, but I guess that does not mean it was necessarily Tex-Mex...
i swear, murfreesboro opens a new restaurant every time i call home! goodness!
We ate at the one in Brentwood a couple of months ago, and I remember not really liking the Salsa (then again, I'm not much of a salsa person), but I did like the taco dish I ordered.
Regarding Lexie's comment, I'm pretty sure I once heard that a lot of restaurants use Murfreesboro as a 'testing location' to see how well new restaurants do in the area.
those look really good. i think i'm going to have to go to GiGi's and get a cupcake now.. :)
Those cupcakes ARE festive, and they look downright delicious! Oh, how bloggers tempt me with their yummy treats. I can't wait til they have the equivalent of Smell-O-Vision but with Taste and through the computer.
http://www.invasionista.com
Post a Comment