Monday, February 7, 2011

2011 Super Bowl Ad Recap!

I've been interested in seeing how the Super Bowl commercials rank since I first heard about it in college, and shared my thoughts here last year. I thought this year's ads were a little disappointing over all, but while reviewing them I found there were more good ones than I remembered, but only a few standouts.

The rankings I discuss here are according to USA Today. Their ranking is based on second-by-second responses of a panel of viewers. When searching for embedded videos, however, I noticed that Hulu has its own ranking based off online votes going on now after the fact. It's interesting to me how they differ.

The two commercials that tied for first according to USA Today was the Bud Light dog sitting commercial and the Doritos' pug commercial. I was slightly surprised by this because the dog sitting commercial did not get a lot of laughs among the party I was with, though I thought it was pretty clever. The pug one was cute but predictable, and I thought not as good as the house sitting commercial, which came in at #4.




Coming in at #3 was the Volkswagen Darth Vader commercial, which was definitely a winner, though I prefer the longer version that was available online before the game. The full version would probably have to be my favorite ad for the game.



Two other commercials that I particularly enjoyed were the Bridgestone Beaver coming in at #9, and the Audi "Old Luxury Prison" coming in at #20.




I liked the sappy Motorola tablet commercial and there were several others made me chuckle, even the Best Buy one with Ozzy and Beiber (neither of which I care for), though only because of the last line: "What's a Beiber?" Sometimes I wonder the same thing, Ozzy.

A few things that surprised me... The fact that the best Hyundai commercial of the night (amongst a very lame bunch, granted) was last in USA Today's rankings. It didn't make me LOL but I thought it was a clever idea.


Also, how did the Rio and Rango trailers score better than the Thor and Captain America trailers? I thought men watched the Super Bowl, not children. And then of course GoDaddy was... well... its usual self. But Joan Rivers in a little outfit? *Shudder* You went too far this time GoDaddy.com.

What were your favorite ads from this year's SuperBowl?

2 comments:

Anna W. said...

Bieber and Ozzy was my favorite-- nothing like putting a deranged, former screamo-singer in the same ad as the current pretty boy, ha. I also liked the Eminem/Chrysler commercial... What a way to take a stand for their city!

Amy Anne said...

there were many good ones. the vader one was adorable! GoDaddy did go too far this year!