Then I watched season eight, where I started out not noticing the eventual winner Kris Allen, but slowly but surely growing fonder of him each week as he delivered. But it wasn't the same as it was with David Cook. And Adam Lambert was certainly no David Archuletta. Season nine was last year, and obviously I had the time to watch. But I didn't care to. Paula was out and Ellen was in, and Kara was still around, and I just wasn't feeling it. I kept up with recaps and knew that the two finalists were both solid performers but I never watched the show.
When a show like this rolls around to season 10 you have to wonder if it can keep any sort of spirit alive, especially when it has been struggling over the last year or two and THE judge is leaving. When I heard Steven Tyler and J-Lo were stepping alongside Randy Jackson, I was skeptical. I mean, at least they were singers, but I just wasn't sure. And Randy was barely easier to understand than Paula with his constant, "Yo dawg, check it out" speak. But then I decided to give it a shot as I heard there were multiple attempts being made to give the show a fresh face.

So I've been following it this time around, and I have to say I am enjoying the new take. The first week or two J-Lo was soft on everyone and Steven was a little soft too, but they toughened up (minus Jennifer's infamous meltdown as she told a contestant he was not going to be in the top 24) and have given some great advice. And Randy has really stepped up as the leader like Simon once was, and offers a lot more by way of constructive criticism and praise (other than "You can sing the phone book, baby!").
The talent this season has been really, really good. They had a large group at Hollywood, but it had to be whittled down to 24 at the end of it all. American Idol (reality TV in general) has a nasty habit of picking favorites and showcasing them over and over again (hence the rigging conspiracy theories, which may or may not be justified), and even some of those folks ended up getting sent home. Overall, the top 24 was a pretty good lot, but I wish I could tweak a few things...
In a huge upset, Murfreesboro's own Colton Dixon did not make the cut. Colton didn't get a lot of face time on Idol, but judging from what little I've heard (especially the few brilliant seconds I heard of "Decode" for his final audition) he should have.

But let me be clear, all the guys in the top 24 are talented, and most deserved to go through. Personally, I could have done without Clint or Jordan and their egos, but I don't doubt they'll make it too far for that reason (especially Clint, he doesn't seem to be very well-liked), despite their talent. A couple of the show's producers/editors' favorites, Chris Medina and Jacee Badeaux, were even sent home. But still, Colton vs. Brett and Brett wins? Really?

In all fairness, Brett is talented. I just love Colton's rock style. He would have definitely been another Daughtry/David Cook and I am all for that. He has a strong fan base though, and I think he's going places with or without American Idol.
The girls are also good this year, and considering that last three American Idol winners have been guys, they could really use some good girls. However, I really hate the 12 girls/12 guys rule. It could have easily been 10 girls/14 guys instead (this is me trying to not be too biased against the girls... I have a strong preference for male vocalists over female for whatever reason). I feel like all the girls are talented, but I believe 10 of them are pretty strong. There are two that did little to impress me, Thia Megia and Ta Tynisa Wilson. The latter totally flubbed "I Hope You Dance" and really should have gone home after that. Not that people shouldn't have a second chance, but I don't think she necessarily earned it, whereas others did or were just more consistent. Thia Megia has been consistently good, but not amazing in my opinion, especially in a group of powerhouse women. Thia seems to have fans (though significantly less than Colton, according to Facebook) so she might make it through a few rounds, but I am suspecting there is not much hope for Ta Tynisa.
There were some great performances during all the audition rounds, but one that really stood out to me was a duet from Tim Halperin and Julie Zorilla as the Top 60 performed Beatles' hits in Vegas. Both made it to the Top 24, and I think they're both ones to watch. Tim may not have the pipes that some of the guys have, but he's the closet thing I've got to David Cook, so I'm pretty sure I'll be rooting him on. And he's pretty cute to boot. If nothing else in this post interests you, just watch this video:
Love them.
I'm pretty sure none of you follow American Idol so I apologize for the long post, and I'm going to have to apologize again because I am probably going to do a weekly recap on here. I want to keep track of what performances impressed me and which ones didn't. You never know when I might find another David Cook that wows me week after week. But if anyone has been following, has anyone caught your eye yet?
No comments:
Post a Comment