So I watched August Rush for the second time ever tonight. It is such a captivating movie. I like the story well enough, but what makes it as compelling as it is not just the story, but the music, the visuals, the editing, the characters... pretty much everything! It's just incredibly well-done and emotionally stirring.
I've been writing stories since the first grade. I think my first story was about a girl and a deer. After that I quickly grew to love writing. By the time I was a teenager, I was working on a novel. I actually completed it at one point, but decided I wanted to change a lot and have yet to even make half of the changes I want to yet.
I've started a lot of stories. But I lose interest in them, start new ones, go back to old ones, around and around, never feeling inspired enough by one plot (though I think I have developed some really good ones) to stick it out. Somewhere along the way I always lose inspiration. It's kind of depressing, especially if I know the story has a great potential.
This summer I'll be making a short film for my honors college project, so that I can graduate from the honors college. I had to base it off something in order to ensure I would actually be able to write the script for it, so it's loosely based off Crime and Punishment. And what seemed like a really cool idea a couple of months ago I've grown bored of... and I haven't even started it!
Hopefully, once I begin the production process, my feelings will change, but I just get tired of this. In my classes when I had to make videos, I would always find myself sort of giving up at a certain point and just trying to get the project done without it looking terrible. I'm so glad I've had a semester off from making videos, but now I'm worried I may have a hard time readjusting to the process.
I have noticed that it's easier for me to write scripts than novels, but I struggle with them as well. When will I find my story, something as impactful as August Rush? I guess my first story can't come on that strongly, but I would like for it to be worthwhile. I would like to finish it. Sometimes I get discouraged and wonder if I'm really as creative as I had been lead to believe, or if I'm that good of a writer. It doesn't seem to matter I've been complemented in these ways, because I know there are so many people out there that are more talented than I am.
I guess it just takes time and diligence, but I've been looking for that story since the first grade. When am I going to find it?
2 comments:
don't give up! I watched August Rush tonight with Graham. That movie rocks, no wonder you wanted to see it so bad. Anyway, good luck, motivation comes from deep within. Its there. Something just needs to spark it again.
I once heard that it's best to just write what you know. John's mother once thought she was going to write a novel, but wound up creating an entire website for her writings. You never know what you'll wind up doing. Just write what's in your heart.
Post a Comment