Tuesday, September 2, 2008

What Makes a Story?

So tonight I watched 27 Dresses for the first time. And I liked parts of it and the overall concept, though there were some parts I could have done without. And it made me think about what, to me, makes a great love story. I'm sure it's not the same for everyone, though there are several romance movies (or movies with a romance in them) that have a formula I usually like: where the guy and the girl are great friends, but are totally oblivious how perfect they are for each other. Then usually the guy realizes it but the girl is still clueless, and he in turn tries to win her over. There is many a conflict and frustration, but in the end she gets it too, and they end up together.

(Funny... that sounds a little bit like my real-life love story...)

I know there are other formulas as well, but this happens to be my favorite. Something about seeing two "friends" who obviously love being together, watching as the guy pursuits the girl, and how it all comes together just really stirs something within me. When I see a story like that, it's like experiencing it with them. And that's why I am always talking about my love for a good story, because I love feeling the emotions of going through the journey.

But I hope I am not getting so caught up in other worlds that I forget to enjoy the very journey I am living in now. It's so much harder to actually be living within the conflict and frustrations, rather than watching them and knowing it will all end happily. Things don't always tie up neatly in real life. Sometimes the result is not quite what you would expect. But that does not mean that real life is awful. We all have a purpose, and things work out for the better, even if they are not always what we hope for. Real life is not like a movie, but it is still a rich journey of experiences and relationships that we ought to relish. I know I don't enough. We all have a special story. I think we forget that.



"So what's your story, Lyla?"
"I don't know... I'm just me."
-from August Rush

3 comments:

Amy Anne said...

i love the movie 27 dresses. very good post. good movies are getting harder to find. I wanna see fireproof when it comes out.

Lexie said...

my family and i got into a very lengthy discussion about what makes a good movie - inspired after watching Gone Baby Gone. i think character development is the most crucial aspect, but more through actions than descriptions.

B K Kenobi said...

yay! amy powers understands life, too! it's about the journey!