Thursday, August 6, 2009

A Frustrated Cooking Venture

Every time I cook something new (which has been basically everything I have fixed in the last 2.5 months minus the repeats), something small seems to go at least slightly wrong, but in the end it all works out. Well, tonight was one of those nights, except it was worse than usual, and still didn't turn out quite the way I expected. I would like to tell you it was something super complicated or gourmet or whatever.

But it was just mashed potatoes.

And peeling wasn't hard. Adding milk and butter and such is certainly not rocket science. It was just getting the potatoes mashed up. They wanted to stay lumpy, no matter how long I ran my mixer!

Sigh.

Needless to say, it was very frustrating. So we ended up with super lumpy mashed potatoes tonight, but Garrett said they still tasted good. For someone who is picky about what he eats, he's thankfully not to picky about the way his food is actually prepared. It makes my life easier until I get the hang of cooking.

Does anyone know the secret of mashing potatoes?

5 comments:

Anna W. said...

Funny thing about mashed potatoes-- they're to be mashed, not mixed ;) You can get a potato masher literally anywhere-- Wal-Mart, Target, Bed Bath and Beyond, etc. for under ten bucks. I have one of the black/plastic/non metal ones, and I'd honestly recommend you get a regular ol' metal one. The one I have is kinda frustrating.

Anna W. said...

But if it makes you feel any better, I once fed John chicken that started bleeding when he cut in to it. You'll eventually get the hang of it.

Lexie said...

i like my mashed potatoes lumpy! when they're too smooth they taste fake!

Lexie said...

(so i would have liked your potatoes just fine!)

B K Kenobi said...

i've always mashed mine by hand with one of the things anna was talking about.

though, once you've mashed them, you can throw them in the mixer with some cream cheese then bake it in the oven with grated cheddar on top. VERY tasty. mom calls it sandra potatoes, though i don't know if they are actually called that or that is just who she got the recipe from.