Thursday, August 20, 2009

They Finally Made a Movie About My Life!

OK, maybe not exactly, but some of the concepts are there.

What first caught my attention about this trailer was when I saw the guy who plays my favorite character (i.e. one of the few characters that doesn't get on my nerves) on the TV show Friday Night Lights. Then I was like, "Wait a sec, this movie is about not getting a job after college graduation!" I'm afraid too many of my friends and I can relate to this.

Last night I was thinking about this same thing. While all my other post-grad friends (when I say all, I mean all the ones I am close to, not all my casual friends) do have jobs, some of them are like the girl in this movie, just working someplace to make some money and not doing what they want. Technically, I probably could have a job by now, but since I have the option to be a little picky, I am.

A lot of this dilemma can be blamed on the economy, but it seems as if there's something deeper here. I'm sure all of our parents started out somewhere where they didn't want to be (some of them are still there). But how do you go from working retail or doing some crappy office job or whatever to doing something you actually like? Especially if they're not related? Why was I told I could do whatever I wanted, to follow my dreams, and all that when it's not true, when you have to be "lucky" to catch that kind of break?

I'm trying to trust God with my future, because He's always provided for me. But I still can't help but feel I have been wasting these last three months of my life. There are probably women who would kill to be at my place, to just stay and home and be a wife, but I honestly don't know what to do with myself. I try to write and sometimes I succeed, but I still don't have a best-seller ready. I buy groceries and do laundry and clean but those things don't take up a whole lot of time. I have so many hours a day that I feel stuck. I really feel like I am in a pre-life crisis.

5 comments:

Anna W. said...

I love Alexis Bledel; this movie looks fun!

Lexie said...

I dont think you should go into full on crisis mode!

I think when we're young we dont always realize the different kinds of jobs that are out there. For example, a lady I worked with at MidSouth Bank is going back to college to finish her degree so she can work in Human Resources - that is what she really, really wants to do with her work life. Who dreams of being an HR director when they're 10? lol.

There was an interesting article in Reader's Digest about parents who are actually encouraging their kids to "follow their dreams" and major in not so practical things like theater and musical performance. I think it will be very hard to to teach my children to be practical but still always try despite statistics of failure.

Amy Anne said...

yes, I want to see this movie!!

Anna W. said...

What other lens did you wind up getting?

I've also been messing around with Photoshop this evening for the first time in. . . well, really since I've had it. It's got some cool effects, but it's almost as complex as the camera!

Anna W. said...

My mom and I heard fairly good reviews about The Shack and My Sister's Keeper, so she bought one book (The Shack) and I bought the other, read them, and then sent them to each other, haha. One thing I've learned (mostly from reading books on marriage) is that just because it's print doesn't make it valid. Thanks for the heads up.

I like the kitty; she has such a pretty coloring!