Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Blog Style

While participating in the blog carnival (see bottom of previous entry if you're confused) I looked at a lot of different blogs... and none of them just had a plain ol' Blogger template. I had tried to dress mine up a little with a header and the colors I wanted, but after seeing so many different looks, I realized my old look just wasn't going to cut it for me anymore. I created the new header above sometime last week and had already been playing around with the colors on the Rounders templates, only to find myself more limited than I cared for.

So Monday and Tuesday I searched for better backgrounds and templates. They have some fantastic ones at Simply Fabulous, but I wanted my own custom header, so I needed to look at something that was backgrounds only, not templates. It seemed that almost all the backgrounds available, however, looked like scrapbook pages. I like the scrapbook look, for scrapbooks, and it works for some people's blogs, but I didn't feel it was right for mine. This was when I asked myself: "How would I define my style, the style I am looking for?"

In my wardrobe I consider my style mostly classic, but I love nice details that make a piece a little trendy or feminine. But what was my design style? What look did I want for my blog? I realized that I was searching for something more modern, with clean lines and such. I think I like the modern look because it seems classic to me. I don't know if it actually is (since it's called modern), but clean lines seem ageless to me. I've liked them for as long as I can remember caring about such things. So I searched for that, but couldn't really find anything. I love a touch of the whimsical as well, and looked for that, but nothing quite fit the bill.

I then found a website that came with a template, from which one could add their own elements to create their own layout. I kept mine basic, only adding some flowers and text to the original. (As usual, click on the picture to see it larger and clearer.)

But then I felt bad because I took the flower graphics from a website where these graphics are supposed to be paid for. It doesn't bother me to show "borrowed" images for something kind of temporary like this entry, but something about it being on my blog everyday just felt wrong. So I looked back through some of the websites that had backgrounds I kind of liked. And that's how I ended up with what I have. Not exactly clean lines, but it is more modern than the scrapbook look, and it is fun and whimsy. Which I also like.

All of this caused me to wonder if my style was just messed up. Does liking classic/modern/ clean-line/whimsical/fun/colorful/black and white all at once make sense? I tested this by finding some images that I felt conveyed my style into a collage (this is how you know you have too much free time on your hands):

I included my wedding dress because even it fits the bill. From far away it looks very structured, clean-lines, and all that jazz. Up close (or in the right lighting), you can see the flowery details. No wonder I ended up with that dress rather than something lacy! Anyhow, I own some of the things on this board, and some things I just really like or really wish I owned (like that cashmere sweater from J. Crew... hello, please be on clearance when I visit your store in Mississippi in January...). So there's my style. Kind of a hodgepodge of things, yet it actually seems to go together (at least in my opinion). So, I don't know how long this blog look will last. I guess until I can find something I like better. I wish I had Photoshop + the artistic skills to create something totally me. Maybe one day.

Sorry to take you through my journey of my style crisis. How would you describe your style(s) for your various aspects of life (especially your blog)?

3 comments:

Anna W. said...

I'm somewhat tempted to begin (slight) blog carnival on this subject since I found something I liked on the Simply Fabulous site! Thanks for the link!

For my blog, I like it to be clean and simple, with a dash of fun and color thrown in. While I like some bright colors, I think on my blog I prefer them to be a little more soothing.

Anna W. said...

I just saw on your profile that your blog has reached 1,000 views! Woo for you!

Yeah, I kind of just stumbled upon it by accident. When I saw it was just five bucks I couldn't resist, and the 'extras' (the header, signature, etc) aren't much more expensive either. I read that the money she makes off her pre-mades (like what i have) is going toward the adoption of her and her husbands child. so it's kind of for a good cause too!

Lexie said...

i left this comment on anna's blog, but because i post a picture with nearly every entry, i like to keep my blog template as simple as possible ... so minima works just fine for me!

in terms of content, i used to be waaay more candid in my entries, but as my readership/exposure grows i tend to clam up. i'm not sure why.