One of my favorite college professors, whom I had for two different classes, had something we would do in his classes called a Media Minute. This is where we would talk about something going on in the media, what we thought about it, and discussed it with the class. This entry is a lot like that.
There's a lot of hype about the new Nike/Tiger Woods commercial, and I don't really understand why, unless you just want to talk about how dumb it is. Here's the commercial for those who have yet to be "enlightened":
If no one had explained this commercial to me, I would not have understood it. Apparently the voice is Tiger Woods' deceased father Earl, and what we hear are clips of things he said before he died. And even though it's hard to understand what he says (due to both Earl's voice and to the fact that his sentence structure does not make very much sense), apparently we are supposed to understand that this is alluding to Tiger's personal life.
Seriously Nike, why are you beating a dead horse, and why do you think this is a good marketing campaign? What about this commercial is supposed to make me feel good about your company and go buy your products? I think the commercial is totally weird and makes no sense. So moving on...
Next is Kate Gosselin. Oh Kate Gosselin. I'll admit that I used to occasionally watch Jon and Kate Plus 8 and I kind of enjoyed it. I never went out of my way to watch it, but sometimes if I happened to catch it on I would watch it. I have to say though that I am so glad we didn't have TLC when the divorce was going down, because I did not want to see commercials for the episode where that was addressed. I was totally relieved when the show was canceled and it seemed everything was over. But then Jon and Kate kept popping up on the magazine stands, and then Kate was selected to be on Dancing With the Stars! What?! Why?! But this, ladies and gentlemen, just baffles my mind...
Kate is going to have a new show on TLC. Yes, despite the fact that her first show on TLC was most likely a contributor to the downfall of her family, she is doing it all again. This short article said it best: "Because she's done such a terrific job managing her own family, Kate Gosselin will star on a new TLC show on which she'll travel the country, leaving her eight children at home, to 'walk a mile in someone else's shoes — meeting real families in the middle of their own extraordinary challenges. She'll try out their jobs ... see how their home life runs ... see what they're up against ... and find out what they do to let off steam. As Kate gets to know them she'll roll up her sleeves and see what she can do to help.' Wonderful."
2 comments:
Right. So because Kate does such a great job of managing her family (which, the woman is organized, I'll give her that), she's going to leave said family with. . . a nannie? The father who lives in a penthouse apartment in NY? . . . to help manage other families. Makes total sense.
I'm starting to develop a soapbox about this (Moms who become famous, whether by blogging or television for their mothering skills, only to start to travel SO much that they are spending next to no time actually mothering and more time telling other moms how to do it. . . meanwhile their families are falling a part. Grr.).
I have never liked KG, but now I just deplore her. She's a disgusting, media-obsessed, money-hungry, pathetic excuse for a mother and I honestly hope her children will see and come to realize what she has turned them into one day.
Post a Comment