Friday, April 30, 2010

My Journey Through the States, Part Two

New Jersey: I don't know why everyone seems to hate New Jersey. I have been there multiple times and really like it. I've been there on mission trips and had very little confrontation with the people there. There is also little to no sales tax there, which is awesome when shopping! I think Garrett and I grew a lot closer during one of our trips there. I can't even explain how or why, I just remember that it was a good trip for us. Though I will say, the burritos there are nothing to write home about.




New York: I definitely have some good (and interesting) memories in New York. I love NYC. I know everyone does, so just count me in. I've been there on four different trips, twice were trips to NJ where we visited NY, and the other two were just NY. The two to just NY happened the summer before college and spring break my sophomore year. The summer trip was kind of like my Orlando trip in terms of bonding with the people on the trip. Brian and I talked a ton on the ride up there which was half the fun. I spent the week painting in a school without air conditioning, but enjoyed every minute of it. I also got lost in the Bronx in the early AM with my group, but God saw us through it. On my next NY trip, I stayed in a (slightly shady) hostel room with five other girls, froze my buns off while I stood for hours in the cold passing fliers out, and finally saw Phantom of the Opera on Broadway. Oh, and I spent the night in the JFK airport. Yep, fun times. But seriously, it was. I felt blessed every time I was there and can't wait to go again. 


Ohio: I've only been to the Cincinnati airport, where I made sure to sing the WKRP theme song.


South Carolina: The week before I went to M-Fuge in Charleston, I was in Mississippi when my grandfather suddenly passed away. I remember calling Chris the day it happened and telling him I was not 100% sure if I would be able to make it, but I would keep him updated. I was able to go, but I was not going to be able to drive up with the group. The day after the funeral we drove home (which was the day the group was driving to Charleston), I packed, and then the next day I flew out to Charleston. I had been through a hard, emotional week, and M-Fuge was perfect. I know God was all over it. I was an adult chaperone, but I might as well had been one of the kids with what I learned and how God spoke to me. I was assigned to work with kids that week during our mission outreaches. I'm not usually one to volunteer my time to work with kids under the age of 12, but I'm so glad I had the chance to get outside of my comfort zone. This trip was seriously the highlight of my year. I fell in love with the ghetto of Charleston (or rather, the people in it), and I cannot wait to one day see the beauty of it.




Tennessee: Well, I live here, and I have for a little over 6.5 years. A lot has happened in those years. I met and fell in love with the man who is now my husband. I went to and graduated from college. I've made a lot of friends. I did not have a lot of exposure to TN before I moved here, other than one or two trips to visit my aunt, who was the one who encouraged us to move here while Dad was looking for work. When I lived in TX I absolutely loved it, but I sort of had a desire to live in Nashville and be involved with the Christian music industry somehow (not by being in a band, but in some other way), so when I moved here, it was totally bittersweet, but I definitely saw it as an adventure. Well, I can't say I'm living the awesome lifestyle I had envisioned, but it's exactly where I need to be and what I need to be doing now. And who knows what's in store? All I know is that right now, this is home.

Texas: I consider Texas to be where I grew up, and Houston my hometown. I moved there while in second grade and stayed through tenth grade, just a little over 8 years in total. I loved Texas, and still do. I love where I grew up and all the activities available. If Garrett and I ever move away from Tennessee, I think we would agree that Texas would be where we would hope to go. A lot of my life there defines who I am today.

Virginia: I went to Mount Vernon during the D.C. trip, and very briefly visited Virginia on one of my rides to NY. Virginia seems like the sort of place I could enjoy living, and there is actually a school there that has some really awesome grad programs that I would be all about. But I'm fine here and not really counting on that to happen. My exposure to Virginia has been limited, but good.

No comments: