Thursday, April 15, 2010

Shoe Frustration: Part 3584

A great tragedy occurred today.

My black flats, aka my go-to shoes, died. They had been considerably worn down, as you can see by the big hole on the right, but the peeling off of the sole ultimately ended it.

A couple of months ago I talked about possibly buying some new flats for spring. I looked at several casual options that were like tennis shoes/flat hybrids. But then I found one pair that I really considered getting:

Except I wanted brown, which does not appear to be on Zappos anymore. Despite my problem with my heels slipping, I thought these shoes would work because I can in fact wear Sperrys. I tried on the famous "boat shoes" once upon a time and they fit and felt marvelously, but I just hated the way they looked on me. I thought they were cute on others, but not on me. Sigh. But here were some other Sperrys, I thought, but I hesitated, probably because I did not want to spend the money at first. Later because they were corduroy and more appropriate for fall than spring.

Today when my shoes died, I decided I needed something that could be dressed up or down, as well as appropiate for fall and spring. And could feet my weird feet. This is no small task. So I went back to Zappos, and checked out more Sperrys. I found these:


So cute, I thought! But you know it's not that easy. These shoes cost just a little over $100. Yikes.

So I looked through 38 pages of flats, and these were the best slingback flats I could find:
But they didn't enthuse me, especially with a $94 price tag.

I continued my search on shoes.com, and before too long I saw a thumbnail and thought, I found them!

The price wasn't bad! And you would never guess it, but they're made by Dr. Scholl's! Comfy! I click on it and...

They come in yellow.

And only yellow.

Don't get me wrong. I like yellow. In fact, I am currently carrying a yellow purse. But can yellow shoes replace my staple black ones? Definitely not. So I was on the search for a new color. Then I found it, the black! Hooray! But once again, we're talking about me here, so it doesn't end there. The black ones are only to be found (thus far in my searching, anyhow) on the Famous Footwear website, which does not offer free shipping or returns. I wouldn't mind paying a few bucks in shipping, really, but without trying on these shoes, I'm worried about how they'll actually turn out. You can return them to the actual store, but the closest one is in Nashville. And how much do you want to bet if I actually went to the store to try them on, they wouldn't be there?

Exactly.

So the search continues. Thank goodness I can wear flip flops to work, otherwise I'd be doomed.

2 comments:

Amy Anne said...

thats the one thing I'm looking for. my shoes i wear to work have the lining running off the back of it, so it just makes it uncomfortable when walking, but I haven't really wanted to go out and find a pair that really works.. maybe tomorrow after class.

Good luck with your search!

Anna W. said...

When my birthday rolls around I'm getting the Chaco clara flat; you had a pic posted on your last shoe post. They're pricey ($90-$100), but I've had enough of them to know that they're well worth the investment.