Ah, the ideals you have as a freshman in college. You're going to major in what you love and change the world. At least that's what I thought.
I did not have the "typical" college experience. I stayed at home and commuted to school (if you call twenty minutes commuting). I had a job during most of my college experience, was not in a sorority, and was not a partier. But college was not just school to me, I got involved with a couple of organizations, including my church's college ministry. One would think that I would have been comfortable moving on up to the college ministry at the church I had already been attending for the past two years, but I actually wasn't at first. It was big and I didn't know a lot of people. Not to mention I was just overwhelmed by the difference between high school and college. But the biggest thing that helped me through the transition was my wonderful J-group.

The night we dressed up in prom dresses and went to the opera.
J-groups were small groups at AO (our college ministry), and the girls in mine were my rock. We had a variety of personalities and differences, but it didn't matter. However, there was one girl in particular who I did have a quite a bit in common with. She and I had Understanding Mass Media together and she sat on the other side of Garrett. A few weeks into school Garrett and I were talking to her and she mentioned that she was checking out AO and the small groups. I asked her whose group she was going to be in, and it turned out she was going to be in mine! Our friendship continued through college and to this day, and she ended up being one of my bridesmaids.

Jolene and me
The intro classes from my major were only slightly more exciting than the general courses that I usually found to be boring. While I found the history of TV to be more interesting than rocks, it still wasn't exactly what I was looking for in my college learning experience. It was during my second semester of college and my second class for my major, amidst learning about Marconi and other people who made radio and TV happen, I had my first chance for a hands-on experience with TV production. It was a little show produced on campus that was far from exciting, but I enjoyed the experience. This was back when I was still idealistic and enthralled with all the possibilities my major seemed to offer, before I changed my mind.

This was after the show when we were helping clean up. We seem very proud of this rolled-up carpet. Actually, I think it was past our bedtimes.
Some other fun memories from freshman year:

Lindsey and I at the new student retreat. We had met in Sunday school in youth, but we also went to the same high school. We had geology together in college and would spend our time writing notes with our friend Page, who will be pictured later.

Fall retreat. Best part of this was talking to Garrett, Graham, and Jolene for hours.

My first AO hayride/hoedown.

This is Page. He helped Lindsey and me ignore our teacher talking about rocks. This picture was taken at the party celebrating his 1000 Facebook wall posts. Yeah I know, who does that? Page does. And he celebrated with a SpongeBob pinata.

Not really college related, but this is when it happened. I met Michael W. Smith at a small wedding in podunk Columbia. It was unreal.

At AO we had the chance to sign up for a visit to the (college) President and his wife's house. Here's a group of girls sporting some of the first lady's hats and purses.

Garrett and I with the President.

I think the most "collegy" thing I did was go to this old coffee house Bonhoeffer's and watch shows. This picture is from a show the summer after freshman year when Garrett got to play bass for a band.

Late-night adventures in downtown Atlanta on an AO trip over the summer. For the record, I do not recommend wandering around downtown Atlanta after 10 PM.
What are your favorite freshman year memories?
2 comments:
i've been thinking about this off and on all weekend, and i honestly have very little memory of freshman year (non-academic) stuff. i think because so much changed starting the middle of sophomore year, everything before that is just a blur.
love this and I love Jolene! I saw her working at Old Chicago last week. Enjoying your posts!
Post a Comment