Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Newness

The College Rewind series is put on hold until I have time to breathe again.

I'm not complaining. I'm extremely thankful for my temp job and I'm glad I took it. It is a long day of working and commuting with very little free time at home, but it is temporary and it is helpful, and I feel like it's right for right now.

By the way, I was contemplating earlier how I would not have this job today had I not sent a Facebook message out to Grace and other friends asking if they wanted to read my writing blog. Which would have never happened had I not taken Fiction Writing. Which would probably not have happened if I didn't have to take eleventy million electives for my major. Which probably would not have happened if I had chosen a much different major. Now, if I had picked another major maybe I would be in a stable permanent position, but if that had happened then I might not have finished my novel (certainly not anytime soon anyways), which also may not have happened if I had not taken Fiction Writing (and so on and so forth), and even if it never gets published, I feel I found myself in those pages. But I tend to believe it will be published. Do I think Oprah is going to pick it up and it's going to be on the New York Times' best-seller list? No. But I do feel like I was supposed to write it. Like God wants me in this job right now, even if I have no idea why.

I took an old Bible with me to work today. In high school I had a pocket Bible I kept in my backpack but rarely took out. I don't think I carried one around in college except maybe for a time after I got a Gideon copy of the New Testament. But I felt like I needed to establish a habit in the middle of my workday just to read for a few minutes during lunch. I'm probably not going to have a quiet time with God right then and there, but just read and reflect for a few moments. The Bible I decided to take to work was one I quickly found on my shelf that I have not opened in forever because it's King James. Not that I really have anything against it, I just don't want to do my regular reading with it.

The Bible is from second grade. I needed a King James Bible for the private school I attended in Alabama for 6-7 months before we moved to Texas. It has a zipper around the edges, and when I unzipped it and opened it, I recognized the smell. "They" say that smell is supposed to be the sense most strongly attached to memory. This just does not hold true for me, but I really did remember that smell. I flipped through it and recognized the illustrations I have not seen in years, and found myself amused by the squiggly lines that underlined several verses. Then I turned to Proverbs 8 and read. It's been so long since I've read King James, and with Proverbs, it really sounded poetic. I think I needed a fresh perspective, as sometimes I feel like I've read everything in the Bible over and over again and it sometimes sounds the same. This sounded new... not new truth like something New Age or cult or whatever that is not real and true, but like a fresh of breath air.



Garrett sent me a really sweet text message at lunch, and then when I got home, he had flowers waiting for me. I'm not the girl who is just waiting to get flowers from my husband, but any gesture that shows that he's thinking about me is appreciated. Honestly, a text like that usually means more to me than something like flowers because my love language is words of affirmation, but the flowers were neat today because it was a step further. I didn't want to get mushy, but felt like sharing.



Hope everyone is doing well. I probably won't be blogging much during the week throughout my time at this job (and for the record, I don't know how long I have it, but probably a few months at least), and unfortunately I will be quite busy this weekend as well! I'll try to be around a little though.

1 comment:

Lexie said...

my boss at the bank used to read his bible during lunch. i think it's a nice thing to do.